Applications are now closed for the 2019 Advance-K Program. Announcements for future applications will be posted to this page and in the Advance-CTR email newsletter.
Sponsored by the Brown University Division of Biology and Medicine and Advance-CTR
The Advance-K Scholar Career Development Program aims to train the next generation of clinical and translational researchers to conduct rigorous and reproducible science, and to enhance innovation and discovery in health-related research.
The program seeks to support highly qualified junior faculty for activities related to the development of a successful research career, and preparation of an individual, extramural career development award application (NIH K series or equivalent). Advance-K Scholars will follow a common curriculum focused on grantsmanship, professional development, and clinical and translational research competencies, along with a customized set of activities to meet individual learning goals.
About the Program
Advance-K Scholars will follow a common curriculum of clinical and translational research competencies, grantsmanship, and professional development, along with a customized set of activities to meet individual learning goals. Advance-K Scholars will be expected to participate in 2-hour bi-weekly training sessions. Attendance at these sessions is mandatory for participation in the program. Each Scholar will enhance the skills specific to his/her research and career development through an individualized learning plan. The goal of the program is for scholars to submit an application for individual funding (K01, K08, K23, or CDAs from the VA or foundations) by the end of the 12-month program period.
Individualized training will be accomplished through various methods including:
- Development of a Mentorship Team.
- Meetings with a Project Development Team (consisting of local technical and scientific expertise) for each participant to assist with grant preparation and planning.
- Bi-weekly sessions focusing on individual research presentations, grant preparation, budget development, Responsible Conduct of Research, mentorship, and/or other professional development goals.
- Participation in appropriate Advance-CTR, university, and industry-sponsored workshops and courses.
- Consultation with Advance-CTR Biostatistics, Biomedical Informatics, and Clinical Research Cores for assistance, as appropriate.
- Opportunities for individualized course work (e.g., Certificates or Masters).
During the award period, Scholars are expected to pursue an individual extramural mentored career development award. An interim progress report, and final report, will be required of all Scholars. The Advance-K Scholar Career Development Program encourages applications with an emphasis on interdisciplinary team science.