Lifespan and Brown have partnered to establish a Covid-19 biobank, housed at Rhode Island Hospital’s Clinical Research Center, to fuel research on this pandemic in our state.
The biobank includes the following samples:
LI plasma (0.5mLs)
- PBMCs (0.25mLs / ~2.5M cells)
As of May 27, 2020*:
- 21 enrolled participants COVID +
- 9 enrolled participants COVID -
- 2 participant results pending
- Plasma samples: 684 vials at 0.5 ml/vial
- LI plasma samples: 541 vials at 0.5 ml/vial
- Serum samples: 522 vials at 0.5 ml/vial
- PBMCs samples: 150 vials at 0.25 ml/vial
The following data is available for each sample:
- Health Insurance Status
- Social History
- Medical History
- Family COVID-19 History
- COVID-19 Symptoms Experience
- Clinical Actions Taken
Investigators may request access to the specimens via the Lifespan/Brown Covid-19 Biobank Request Form. A multi-institutional committee composed of representatives from Brown, The University of Rhode Island, Lifespan, Care New England, and the Providence VA Medical Center will review the requests on a rolling basis.
Eligibility & Regulatory Procedures
Eligibility: All investigators at degree-granting institutions in Rhode Island are eligible to request access to Covid-19 biobank specimens.
Regulatory Procedures and IRB requirements:
- De-identified samples with no clinical/demographic data will require an IRB exempt letter from your institution.
- Samples along with associated clinical/demographic data will require the host institution’s IRB letter of approval.
If the researcher is not affiliated with Lifespan, data requests and sharing of specimens will require a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) or Data Use Agreement (DUA), as applicable. Institutional Authorization Agreements (IAAs) must be established between non-Lifespan investigators’ home institutions and Lifespan.
Investigators will pick up specimens by appointment only after receiving the appropriate approvals. Samples will be available for pick-up at CORO-West, One Hoppin Street, Suite 4.200. The researcher will be contacted with the time/date and is expected to bring all appropriate transport materials (packaging boxes, dry ice).
Fees & Citation Requirements
Lifespan will charge a cost per sample.
Rhode Island academic- and hospital-affiliated investigators:
- $75 - Serum & Plasma
- $125 - PBMC
- $150/vial - Serum & Plasma
- $250/vial - PBMC
Investigators are required to cite Advance-CTR on any grants, publications, presentations and/or other products that result from access to the Covid-19 Biobank. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.