The Office of Research Contracting assists faculty with Materials Transfer Agreements (MTAs), enabling investigators to get rapid access to materials and transfer materials to others, while ensuring that the parties’ rights are fully protected.

An MTA is a written contract between a provider and a recipient of research material. The parties to the contract may be between academic, government, and commercial organizations. The sharing of research products is critical to continuing progress in science, and we work expeditiously to rapidly turn around these agreements which protect the rights of the different parties with regard to publication, freedom of research, confidentiality, and intellectual property. The Office of Research Contracting negotiates and signs these agreements on behalf of Brown.

Outgoing Materials

If you are a Brown researcher interested in sending materials to an outside non-profit entity, please contact [email protected]. The Office of Research Contracting will provide a draft Material Transfer Agreement to submit to your contact from the party requesting material. We will work with the outside entity and negotiate if needed. 

For for-profit entities, submit your request to [email protected]

Important: All transfers of materials, software, or data must be compliant with U.S. export regulations. Some materials, software or data may require an export license if shipped abroad. There may be other restrictions, such as that these items cannot be shipped to a restricted or banned party, or located in an embargoed country. Because penalties for violation of export control laws are significant and may include personal fines and criminal charges, the Office of Research Contracting helps to ensure compliance for any material shipped under an MTA.

The Office of Research Contracting liaises with the Export Control Compliance Team in the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) for all outgoing international MTAs and certain incoming MTAs. If export licenses are required, ORI will discuss options and process with TVO and the responsible Brown researcher. For more information on export control compliance, visit ORI’s website or contact the Export Control Compliance Team.

Incoming Materials

Receiving materials from either a non-profit or a for-profit organization – if you are interested in receiving materials from either a non-profit or a for-profit organization and have received a draft MTA or are interested in initiating the process, please fill out this brief questionnaire and send to the Office of Research Contracting as outlined.  If you have received a draft please send it along to our office at [email protected].

For further information on MTAs, please contact Megan Snell in the office of Research Contracting at [email protected] or 401-863-6260.