Description of the Sciara Collection
The various strains of Sciara coprophila comprising the stock collection are:
6980 – the X’ chromosome carries the dominant Wavy wing marker (X’W). The X chromosome carries the recessive swollen vein wing marker (Xsw).
91S – the X chromosome carries the recessive petite wing marker (Xp).
7298 - the X’ chromosome carries the dominant Wavy wing marker (X’W). There is no marker on the X chromosome.
HoLo stocks 1 to 5 – these were derived from stock 7298 by selecting for flies that lack an upper polymorphic band at locus II/9A on a gel. The major lab stock is HoLo2.
Translocation T1 – heterozygous for a translocation of all the rRNA gene copies (heterochromatin blocks I, II and III) from the X chromosome to chromosome II (distal to the centromere of chromosome II).
Translocation T23 - heterozygous for a translocation of some of the rRNA gene copies (heterochromatin block H3) from the X chromosome to chromosome III.
piggyBac insertions into a parental stock of HoLo2.
Zinc finger nuclease insertions into the II/9A locus of a parental HoLo2 stock.
Materials for Molecular Biology
• genomic libraries in plasmids (pBR322), lambda (lambda charon 4A) and a cosmid (Lorist B)
• genomic DNA, RNA and polytene chromosome squashes are available upon request
• sequence of the Sciara genome (being completed)
• sequence of the Sciara transcriptome (being completed)
• microscope slide collection from Charles W. Metz
• research notebooks from Charles W. Metz
• complete collection of reprint articles on Sciara from Charles W. Metz, Helen V. Crouse; Ellen M. Rasch; Natalia Gabrusewycz-Garcia, Susan A. Gerbi