ENGN 2911T: Ultrafast Optics (fall 2023)
This is a graduate course on ultrafast phenomena and ultrafast lasers. When you complete this course, you will understand how a femtosecond laser works and why you'd want to use one. This class will have required attendance at all lectures, unless arrangements are made in advance with a valid excuse.
- Lecture location: BH 194 (note new location!)
- Lecture time: TuTh 2:30 - 3:50
- Office hours: Thursdays 1:00 - 2:30 (usually)
- Please note: there will be NO LECTURE on Tuesday November 21.
- This is problem set 1, and these are the solutions.
- This is problem set 2, and these are the solutions.
- This is problem set 3 and these are the solutions.
- As part of the first assignment, you should have watched this one-hour introductory lecture.
- Student presentations: these take place during the last few lectures of the semester. The schedule is now posted at the bottom of this page.
Some important course information:
- the course syllabus for Fall 2023 (updated 05/19/2023)
- A primer on how to clean optics. Required reading for any experimentalist in an optics lab.
PDF files of lectures (this calendar is now up to date):
|Lecture 1 (zoom recording)||Lecture 2 (Sep 26)||Lecture 3 (Sep 28)|
|Lecture 4 (Oct 3)||Lecture 5 (Oct 5)||Lecture 6 (Oct 10)|
|Lecture 7 (Oct 12)||Lecture 8 (Oct 17)||Lecture 9 (Oct 19)|
|Lecture 10 (Oct 24)||Lecture 11 (Oct 26)||Lecture 12 (Oct 31)
|Lecture 13 (Nov 2)||Lecture 14 (Nov 7)||Lecture 15 (Nov 9)|
|Lecture 16 (Nov 14)||Lecture 17 (Nov 16)||No Lecture (Nov 21)|
|Lecture 18 (Nov 28)||Lecture 19 (Nov 30)
||Lecture 20 (Dec 5)
|Student Lectures (Dec 7)
||Student Lectures (Dec 12)|
In-class student presentations:
- Jeffrey Lei - December 7 - "Narrow intensity range optical anisotropy in air induced by a femtosecond laser breakdown"
- Pingchuan Ma - December 7 - "Observation of extremely efficient terahertz generation from mid-infrared two-color laser filaments"
- Seokkee Min - December 7 - "Ultrafast nonlinear absorption with multiple transformations and transient dynamics of gold nanobipyramids"
- Ekin Secilmis - December 12 - "Characterization of laser wakefield acceleration efficiency with octave spanning near-IR spectrum measurements"
- Tianjie Qiu - December 12 - "Femtosecond-Terawatt Hard X-Ray Pulse Generation with Chirped Pulse Amplification on a Free Electron Laser"
- Yutong Wu - December 12 - "Towards femtosecond on-chip electronics based on plasmonic hot electron nano-emitters"