Hiring and Timeline
All Writing Center Associates are hired to begin work during the fall semester. Applications are solicited via email and then reviewed by the Associate and Assistant Director. Strong applicants are then invited to interview with the Associate Director, Assistant Director, and an experienced Graduate Associate. All new hires must commit to attending an orientation and to observing experienced Associates before beginning their own work in the Center.
- Application Opens: Friday, October 5, 2018
- Application Closes: Tuesday, October 23, 2018
- Interviews: Sunday, October 21 - Friday October 26, 2018
Before beginning work, all new Writing Associates must commit to attending (1) a fall orientation, (2) participating in observations and mentoring with experienced Associates, and (3) Digital discussion groups and face-to-face debriefs (around 15 hours of paid training).
Dates for Fall 2018 Orientation:
- Option 1: Friday, November 2, 2018, from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm, 520 SciLi
- Option 2: Saturday, November 3, 2018, 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, 520 SciLi
- Dates for New Writing Associate Observations: Sunday, November 4 through Thursday, November 8, 2018
Dates for Discussion Groups:
- Option A: Friday, November 9, 2018, 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm, 520 SciLi
- Option B: Monday, November 12, 2018, 4:00 - 5:00 pm, 520 SciLi
Start Date for Live Schedule: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
At minimum, new Writing Associates must commit to working one shift per week (all shifts are 3 hours). It is recommended that new Writing Associates start at one shift per week. Experienced Associates can work up to three shifts per week.
Ongoing Professional Development
At minimum, all Associates must commit to attending monthly meetings (1 hour of paid professional development + lunch), a fall special topics development module (5 hours of paid professional development), and a spring retreat (5 hours of paid professional development).
Graduate Associates are paid $17.00/hour.