Padture’s research interests are in the broad areas of synthesis/processing, characterization, and properties/performance of advanced ceramics and nanomaterials used in applications ranging from jet engines to solar cells to computer chips. Specifically, he has active research in:
- Tailoring of advanced structural ceramics, composites, and coatings:
- Thermal barrier coatings and environmental barrier coatings
- Ceramic/carbon nanotubes composites
- Ultra-high temperature ceramic composites
- Ultra-hard nanoceramics
- Synthesis, characterization, device fabrication, and properties of functional nanomaterials, including graphene, oxides, and perovskites:
- Perovskite Solar Cells (Planar/Mesoscopic)
- Graphene-based devices
Currently funded research projects in the Padture's laboratory includes:
- N.P. Padture (PI); “Novel Thermal Barrier Coatings and Environmental Barrier Coatings;" ONR; $400,000; 1/1/2012 - 12/31/2014.
- N.P. Padture (PI); “Advanced Thermal Barrier Coatings for Syngas-Fueled Gas Turbine Engines;" DoE-NETL; $300,000; 9/1/2012 - 8/31/2015.
- N.P. Padture (PI); “Novel Synthesis and Processing of Ultra-High-Temperature Ceramic Nanocomposites with Improved Properties;" ONR; $600,000; 4/1/2013 - 3/31/2016.
- N.P. Padture (PI); “Ceramics Science of Novel Solid-State Solar Cells;" NSF; $550,000; 9/15/2013 - 8/14/2017.
- N.P. Padture (PI); “Research and Education in Ceramic Nanocomposites;" II-VI Foundation; $95,000; 7/1/2014 - 6/30/2015.
- N.P. Padture (PI); "Acquisition of Equipment for Research and Education in Electric-Field Assisted Sintering of Advanced Ceramics and Composites;" DURIP; $249,000; 6/13/2014 - 6/12/2015.
- B.W. Sheldon (PI) and N.P. Padture (co-PI); “Understanding and Controlling Toughening in Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Ceramics;" DoE-BES; $515,000; 9/1/2013 - 7/31/2016.