Pre-College Programs
For International Students

Information for International Students

Welcome to Brown!

Each year, Brown welcomes students from around the world who seek a university experience in the United States. They come to Brown to experience the challenges of college-level learning, the independence and self-discipline necessary for life on a college campus, and to meet new friends from around the US and the world who share their academic interests and goals.

Once you choose a program to attend, the information below will help you complete the necessary application materials and provide information about visa requirements for study in the U.S.


Student applicants are encouraged to review our Financial Policies. Please note that there is a $100 international processing fee and a $60 health insurance fee required for all non-credit international students. The international processing covers various costs associated with foreign delivery of completion materials, I20 documents and refunds where applicable as well as other costs associated with foreign bank fees etc.  

Language Proficiency

When choosing a course or program, please consider your level of English proficiency and familiarity with the subject matter. Some courses require substantially more reading and writing than others.

The Intensive English Language Program (IEP) is designed specifically for non-native English speakers who plan to attend an American or English language university and want to improve their language skills.

Language proficiency exams are not required for admissions, but we strongly recommend the following TOEFL scores:

Previous English language instruction is also recommended as indicated below:

In our review of applications from non-native English speakers, we may request further evidence of proficiency, and may recommend students enroll in an alternate program or courses.

Important: Immigration Guidelines

Enrollment in credit courses, or courses that entail greater than 18 hours per week of in-class time requires that nonimmigrant students obtain an F-1 student visa, specifically:

1. Nonimmigrant students enrolling in Brown University Summer Session or the Pre-Baccalaureate Program must obtain an F-1 student visa and, as stipulated by the regulations, must also be enrolled full-time, that is, enrolled in two courses.

2. Enrollment in Leadership Institute, or TheatreBridge require that non-immigrant students obtain an F-1 student visa.

3.  Students wishing to enroll in two or more courses require an F-1 visa unless the courses are taken one after the other.  Any overlap in courses will entail greater than 18 hours per week of in-class time, and therefore will require that non-immigrant students obtain an F-1 student visa. Once in the US, non-immigrant students cannot change their course enrollments by adding or dropping courses, shortening or extending their enrollment, without potentially jeopardizing their visa status, and therefore should choose their courses carefully.

For programs, courses, or combination of courses that require I-20 documentation, please ensure that you adhere to appropriate deadlines to submit application and immigration related materials:

Deadlines for Submitting Documentation – 2015

If your course begins on:

Your complete application and immigration-related materials must be received by:

June 15

April 10

June 22

April 17

June 29

April 24

July 6

May 1

July 13

May 8

July 20

May 15

July 27

May 15

Tourist Visas

Immigration rules allow visitors on a tourist visa (B-2 or visa waiver program (VWT)), who are coming to the U.S. primarily for tourism to take a short course of study which is not for credit and is less than 18 hours per week.  A consular officer will determine the visa that may be appropriate based on the purpose of a visitor’s travel and supporting documentation.

Brown University does not provide formal supporting documentation to enable students to acquire a tourist visa.  Your acceptance letter to our programs can serve as proof of initial visit.

IMPORTANT: If your program is full-time - meets in excess of 18 hours per week - do not enter the U.S. as a tourist (e.g. B-2 or visa waiver program).

Application Instructions for International Students
Requiring an F-1 Visa

  1. Complete your application
    A complete application includes:
    • A completed online application
    • A transcript from your current school
    • The application fee, payable online
    PLEASE NOTE: We cannot accept international checks for application fee payments. For specific application requirements, visit the "How to Apply" page for the program you choose. Also, the name on your application materials must match the name on your passport.
  2. Await an admissions decision
    We make every effort to inform you via email of your admissions status within 10 business days.
  3. Confirm your attendance and choose your courses
    Accepted students must confirm their attendance with a $300 deposit, payable online. We cannot accept international checks for deposit payments. Once this deposit is received and processed (usually 24 hours), students may enroll in courses at
  4. Make full payment and return important documents
    After making your course choices, you should make full payment of fees. Fees include: the course(s) selected, room and board, international processing fee (non-credit students only), health insurance fee, and any additional material/lab fees). If attending a full-time program or enrolled in a combination of courses that together meet in excess of 18 hours per week, you will also need to submit the below documents (select option that applies you):

    A) Students outside the U.S.  and in need of an F-1 Form I-20 to attend a full-time program
    • A copy of the student’s biographical page of their passport

      PLEASE NOTE: You must pay in full before we can process your I-20. The I-20 is required for the visa application process. Delays in payment will result in delays in arranging for a timely F-1 visa interview at a U.S. consulate.
    B) Students currently studying in the U.S. with an I-20 and F-1 Visa:
    If you currently have an I-20 from another school in the U.S. and intend to return to that school after the summer, submit copies of your:
    • I-20  
    • A copy of the student’s biographical page of their passport
    • F-1 Visa
    • A letter from your current school confirming your lawful status and eligibility to continue your education there after completion of your summer courses at Brown
    C) Students currently in the U.S. in status other than F-1:
    If you are currently in the U.S. in an immigration status other than F-1 you will need to submit copies of your:
    • A copy of the student’s biographical page of their passport
    • Visa
    • I-797 approval notice (if applicable)
  5. Students outside the U.S. apply for an F-1 Visa upon receipt of I-20
    We will send the I-20 to you via international courier. You should receive your I-20 within 2 weeks following our receipt of full payment and forms listed in step #4 above. See below for Visa application instructions.
  6. F-1 students only: If outside U.S. and issued I-20 by Brown, plan trip accordingly.
    F-1 students can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 day prior to the start date of their program (see #5 on Form I-20 issued by Brown)

F-1 Visa Application Instructions


For Canadian Citizens
Although you do not need an F-1 visa to enter the United States in F-1 status, you will need a Form I-20, and should follow the instructions above for obtaining that document. You must also pay the SEVIS fee and present your SEVIS receipt and I-20 at the U.S.—Canada land border or at the airport for lawful entry to the U.S. as an F-1 student. Please make sure at the Port of Entry that you receive an I-94 arrival/departure record (small white card) stamped “F-1 D/S” (D/S – Duration of Status).

To apply for an F-1 Visa:

  1. Review Form I-20 and sign bottom of page 1 if all information is correct.
    If student is under the age of 18, parent must co-sign on bottom of page 1. If there are any questions about the Form I-20, please contact the School of Professional Studies as soon as possible.
  2. Pay the required SEVIS fee to the U.S. Government, and obtain a receipt.
    In order to apply for the F-1 Visa, you will need to provide receipt of payment of a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For payment instructions, please go to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Form I-901 Online Completion website at For more detailed information go to the SEVP website and review Frequently Asked Questions. This site also contains a link to Form I-901.
  3. Complete online visa application forms and set up an F-1 visa appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
    Once you receive your I-20 from Brown University and have paid your SEVIS fee, you will be able to set up an appointment at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy nearest you. Please follow the guidelines of the individual U.S. Embassy or Consulate for requesting your F-1 Visa. Appropriate visa application fees will be assessed at the time of your appointment. Detailed instructions for the F-1 visa application can be found at the website of the U.S. consulate where you will apply.
    Listing of U.S. consulates:

Remember - At your Visa Appointment, you must present:

F-1 Visa Verification Instructions

Students who have been issued a Brown Sponsored F-1 Visa are required to send an electronic copy of the visa to  Failure to do so could result in registration complications.


About the F-1 Student Visa

Countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

General Questions About Student Visas: Please consult the U.S. Department of State visa page where you will find links to specific consular locations and other helpful information at

Listing of U.S. consulates:

Visa Appointment Wait Times and Processing Times:
Please plan ahead as processing times vary at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Entering the U.S.

If requesting admission to enter the United States in F-1 status with an I-20 from Brown, you must present to the Port of Entry Officer:

If requesting admission to enter the United States in a status other than F-1 or with an F-1 I-20 from another U.S. academic institution, please contact the appropriate party responsible for your immigration status about travel information.

Arriving at Brown University

All students should plan their travel to Brown based on a Sunday arrival and registration check-in time between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Students who arrive after 1 p.m. must check-in at the Office of Residential Life. Students who arrive after 9 p.m. will be housed in a temporary room for Sunday night and will receive their permanent residence hall assignment the next morning at Residential Life.

Be sure to bring your immigration documents to registration and orientation on the Sunday your program begins.

Students who are arriving from distances greater than 350 miles from Brown University may request to arrive early on the Saturday before their program begins. Permission for early arrival must be requested and approved in advance of the program via the online request form. There is a $150 early arrival fee for students arriving on Saturday.

Refund Policy

Please note: If you must withdraw from the program at any point, the application fee, program deposit ($300) and international processing fee will not be refunded. For more information on our refund policy, please see the Policies section of our website.

International Wire Transfers

Brown University has partnered with Flywire to offer a streamlined and cost saving way to make international tuition payments.  With this partnership, students and families are offered favorable foreign exchange rates, the ability to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and savings compared to traditional banks.  In addition, you will be able to track your payment via Flywire's dashboard and you will be notified via email (and/or text) when your payment is received by Brown University.

Visit the Flywire website to make an international student account payment.

Additional Questions

Please contact us by email:
Or by phone: (401) 863-7900 Monday through Friday from 8:30am until 5:00pm EST