The Brown Leadership Institute
Two-Week Residential Sessions
June 26 - July 7, 2017
July 10 - July 21, 2017
July 24 - August 4, 2017
Note: Classes begin on Monday.
For students completing grades 9-12 by June 2017, with a minimum age of 15 by the start of the program
An innovative and unique leadership program designed for highly motivated, intellectually curious students who are interested in social issues and creating positive change
The Leadership Institute consists of three foundational elements: academic content, leadership development, and the Action Plan. You will work with outstanding faculty, undergraduates, and peers in a highly immersive and interactive program. In each course, you will focus intensely on an academic topic such as science, international issues, development, global health, or social entrepreneurship. It is in the context of exploring and understanding these areas that you will also develop your leadership skills.
- Explore the leadership challenges associated with complex social issues
- Identify and analyze the strengths and limitations of your current leadership style
- Develop an appreciation for leadership styles different from your own
- Strengthen your public-speaking skills
- Refine your listening and problem-solving skills
- Expand your ability to work in diverse groups
- Apply the Social Change Model of Leadership Development
- Develop an Action Plan project that you can bring home to your school or community
To be the change we wish to see in the world, we must start with ourselves, by questioning our assumptions, expanding our knowledge, and venturing outside our comfort zones.
We believe that informed and engaged youth can make a positive difference in the world; thus our mission is to help students develop and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes associated with effective and socially responsible leadership.
It is easy to feel overwhelmed by the enormity and complexity of the many challenges demanding our attention: environmental destruction, health crisis, wars, poverty, economic uncertainty, and social inequality. The Leadership Institute offers a learning environment that encourages exploration, discussion, and personal growth.