Office of Career Development
The Office of Career Development at the Medical School is here to support you throughout your medical school journey. We are available to help with the decision making process, shadowing experiences, navigating the transition from preclinical to the clinical years, and develop personalized fourth year schedules. The Career Development office provides guidance with the residency application process, assisting with the development of a robust curriculum vitae, personal statement and strong residency applications. The department also offers opportunities to participate in mock interviews to help students prepare for the residency interview trail.
First & Second Year Programming
- Careers in Medicine offers a number of specialty decision making programs in the first and second years.
- Careers in Medicine Seminar Series: This highly popular specialty series introduces first and second year medical students to several career disciplines in medicine. Approximately 10-15 programs are offered each semester during the lunch hour. The format for each event is a panel discussion followed by a Q&A session. Panelists typically include the department chair, residency program director, community provider, attendings and a resident. A robust discussion about the specialty, including what program directors look for in potential medical student candidates is the focus of each session as well as information on salary, hours, work life balance, and day to day activities in the field.
Career Development offers several class meetings for the third and fourth year students.
Third Year Class meetings
- Transition to third year – discuss third year curriculum and scheduling
- Core Clerkship Director Meeting – each director discusses the fundamentals of their specific clerkship
- Clerkship meeting with upperclassmen – 4th year students explain and share their experiences in each clerkship
- Specialty Choice Decision Making – Careers in Medicine faculty discuss the decision making process
Fourth Year Class meetings
- Fourth Year Planning Meeting – discuss process for specialty career advising, sub-internships, residency applications
- Residency Planning Meeting – overview of the residency application process (timelines, letters of recommendation, MSPE, board exams)
- Interview Workshop
- CV and Personal Statement Workshop
- Preparing your Residency Rank List - Careers in Medicine faculty discuss the methods for preparing a successful rank list