Brown University - Office of International Programs

Short Sojourn Abroad Information and Registration

Undergraduate Sojourn Abroad Registration

Congratulations on your decision to complement your Brown studies with learning experience abroad. It may be that you will be carrying out a research project; working as an intern with a non-governmental organization; participating in a short-term study abroad program; or traveling with a Brown-sponsored club, team, or organization. Whatever your purpose in going abroad, we are certain that a challenging and worthwhile experience awaits you.

Undergraduate students receiving funds from Brown University to help defray costs associated with travel abroad are required to complete an electronic Personal Travel Record/Emergency Contact Form, and an electronic Release and Waiver for Brown-Funded Travel. Please click here to access these forms.

The Office of International Programs (OIP) has also prepared a Sojourn Abroad Guide that contains useful information about travel requirements, health and safety abroad, cultural adjustment, and the logistics of living in another country. You cannot possibly prepare for every conceivable scenario before you go, but you can equip yourself to handle new situations and to enjoy a meaningful experience abroad.

Preparing for Your Sojourn

Additional Resources

Additional information on academic and general travel abroad may also be found at the OIP Website. If you are looking for enriching opportunities for overseas learning, you may try the following offices and resources:


The Sojourn Abroad Guide is provided as a general resource to Brown students planning to travel abroad, including students engaging in activities abroad that do not involve Brown-sponsored academic study or research. Brown University and/or its representatives assume no liability based on the information contained herein in the event of accident or illness, or for damage or injury to person or property of any nature whatsoever.

Last Updated: July 7, 2008