Julie Nguyen Brown Professor of Computational and Mathematical Sciences
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
115 Waterman Street Box 1910
Providence, RI 02912
Senior Director and Head of Information Research, Celera Genomics
Project Leader, Computational Biology Project, Sandia Labs
Links to other Sorin Istrail Webpages
- Sorin was a member of the University "Al. I. Cuza", Iasi, Romania Committee awarding the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Professor John Conway, the John von Neumann Professor, Emeritus, at Princeton Official pictures album of the John Conway Days at Univesity of Iasi, Romania to be posted soon.
- Sorin was a member of the University "Al. I. Cuza", Iasi, Romania Committee awarding the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Professor Kenneth Arrow, Nobel Laureate and the John Kenney Professor of Operations Research, Emeritus at Stanford University. Professor's Arrow's parents were born in Romania. Official pictures album of the Kenneth Arrow Days at Univesity of Iasi, Romania can be viewed here.
- Sorin received NSF grant (PI) - Genome-Wide Algorithms for Haplotype Reconstruction and Beyond: A Combined Haplotype Assembly and Identical-by-Descent Tracts Approach
- Sorin's Essay "Ode to Computational Biology: A letter in support of Awarding the National Medal of Science to Professor Michael Waterman (2012)"
- Sorin's Essay "Professor Solomon Marcus’ Axioms", appeared in "Meetings with Marcus: 85th Birthday Celebration of Professor Solomon Marcus, Editura Academiei Romane (2011)"
- Professor Dr. Solomon Marcus, Stoilow Institute of Mathematics, Romanian Academy, is visiting August 7-28, 2011. He will be giving lectures on August 19 and August 23. Please read here for more information.
- Sorin Istrail received NSF grant (Co-PI) - IGERT: Reverse Ecology: Computational Integration of GEnomes, Organisms, and Environments
- Sorin Istrail received NSF grant (PI) - EAGER: Haplotype Phasing Algorithms and Clark Consistency Graphs
- Sorin's Essay Storytelling about Lighthouses: When Professor Dijkstra Slapped Me in the Quest for Beautiful Code , Conduit, Brown Univesirty Department of Computer Science Alumni Magazine, Vol 19.1, 2010
- Sorin's Essay Storytelling About Lighthouses: Criticizing Professor Dijkstra Considered Harmless Conduit, Brown Univesirty Department of Computer Science Alumni Magazine, Vol 17.2, 2008
- Sorin's Essay Randomness is Beautiful: in Search of von Neumann Conduit, Brown Univesirty Department of Computer Science Alumni Magazine, Vol. 15.1, 2006
- Ning Hou receives the endowed and named UTRA award, the “Randy Pausch Computer Science Undergraduate Summer Research Award” 2013
- Lian Garton receives an SC Lamport Award
- Allan Stewart receives the George I. Alden Trust UTRA Award
- David Moskowitz receives the UTRA Award
- Sorin Istrail joins the Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consoritum Analysis Group
- Sorin Istrail receives an NSF Grant to build a database and next-generation browser for the regulatory genome
The Istrail Lab currently has openings for a postdoctoral researcher, graduate students, as well as undergraduate internships for both biology and computer science students. Interested parties should contact Sorin Istrail at 401-863-6196 or email@example.com.