Julie Nguyen Brown Professor of Computational and Mathematical Sciences, and
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
115 Waterman Street Box 1910
Providence, RI 02912
*****Fall 2014 new graduate course "Advanced Algorithms in Computational Biology" CSCI2951-N
Senior Director and Head of Information Research, Celera Genomics (2000-2005)
Principal Senior Member of the Technical Staff, Project Leader, Computational Biology Project, Sandia Labs (1992-2000)
Mission to Venus: Building at Brown the "John von Neumann Institute for Advanced Study"
- 2010 Symposium: The John von Neumann Days at Brown University
- 2015 Symposium: Brown 250th Annyversary: The Next 250 Years
International Director, "Grigore Moisil Institute for Computer Science and Applications"
University "Al. I. Cuza" Iasi, Romania
- Sorin was a member of the University "Al. I. Cuza", Iasi, Romania Committee awarding the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Professor John Conway, the John von Neumann Professor, Emeritus, at Princeton Official pictures album of the John Conway Days at Univesity of Iasi, Romania to be posted soon.
- Sorin was a member of the University "Al. I. Cuza", Iasi, Romania Committee awarding the title of Doctor Honoris Causa to Professor Kenneth Arrow, Nobel Laureate and the John Kenney Professor of Operations Research, Emeritus at Stanford University. Professor's Arrow's parents were born in Romania. Official pictures album of the Kenneth Arrow Days at Univesity of Iasi, Romania can be viewed here.
Recent NSF grants received
- Sorin received NSF grant (PI) - Genome-Wide Algorithms for Haplotype Reconstruction and Beyond: A Combined Haplotype Assembly and Identical-by-Descent Tracts Approach
- Sorin received NSF grant (Co-PI) - IGERT: Reverse Ecology: Computational Integration of Genomes, Organisms, and Environments
- Sorin received NSF grant (PI) - EAGER: Haplotype Phasing Algorithms and Clark Consistency Graphs
- Sorin received NSF grant "Sweat-Box" Sessions: Boot Camp at Brown University: Training in the art of asking tough scientific questions"
- Sorin received NSF Grant (PI) to build a database and next-generation browser for the regulatory genome
Sorin's Honor Roll Students
Links to other Sorin Istrail Webpages
The Istrail Lab currently has openings for a postdoctoral researcher, graduate students, as well as undergraduate internships for both computer science and life science students. Interested parties should contact Sorin Istrail at 401-863-6196 or firstname.lastname@example.org.