Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology & the Ancient World
Box 1837 / 60 George Street
Providence, RI 02912
Telephone: (401) 863-3188
Fax: (401) 863-9423
Below is a list of works that were helpful in shaping this project. Most are cited on particular pages; others were helpful for background information or inspiration.
- Deetz, James. In Small Things Forgotten: The Archaeology of Early American Life. Garden City, NY: Anchor Press/Doubleday, 1977.
- Elias, Norbert. The Civilizing Process: The History of Manners. Trans. Edmund Jephcott. New York: Urizen Books, 1978.
- Henisch, Bridge Ann. Fast and Feast: Food in Medieval Society. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1976.
- Belcher, John C. and Pablo B. Vazquez-Calcerrad. 'A Cross-Cultural Approach to the Social Functions of Housing.' Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol. 34, No. 4 (Nov., 1972), pp. 750-761
- Ingold, Tim. 'Materials against Materiality.' Archaeological Dialogues, Vol. 14, No. 2 (2007), pp. 1-16
- Weatherill, Lorna. 'A Possession of One's Own: Women and Consumer Behavior in England, 1660-1740.' The Journal of British Studies, Vol. 25, No. 2 (Apr., 1986), pp. 131-156
The History of Eating Utensils. Rietz Collection of Food Technology, California Academy of Sciences.
Title image of a 16th c. Neapolitan fork Other images found via Google and cited on page.