After the Corporation voted to allow women to sit for exams, President Andrews recruited six women to begin study at Brown in the fall of 1891. They received similar, but separate, instruction from Brown professors in Greek, math, French and Latin. At the end of the academic year, in 1892, the Corporation voted to open all degrees of the University to women.
First Women Students Begin Study
October 1, 1891