Computing and Information Services (CIS) is the central organization providing computing services to Brown University. The IT Service Center is located at 115 Waterman Street in The Thomas J. Watson Sr. Center for Information Technology (CIT). CIS offers many resources and services to help enrich the academic and research environment, including:
- A secure wireless network
- Services to assist in Teaching, Learning, and Research
- Free computer education training
- A wide variety of free software packages licensed for use by the Brown community
- Computing clusters, available around campus — including the graduate student computer cluster on the second floor of the Rockefeller Library, accessed only by graduate student Brown Cards.
- Printing services in the CIT and library computing clusters
- A free, on-campus Service Center, offering support via telephone at (401) 863-4357, email, and on a walk-in basis on the first floor of the CIT.
Brown Computing Policy
Brown University requires that all community members behave responsibly and legally in their use of the Universityʼs computing resources. To activate an account, a student must agree to comply with the Acceptable Use Policy and the Copyright Infringement Policy. To use a computer on the network in the residence halls, a student must agree to comply with the Network Connection Policy. Students who do not comply will be held personally responsible for violations, including those associated with illegal downloads of copyrighted materials.