Skip to Navigation

Student Payroll Procedures

All students entering the Graduate School with any form of financial support are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) form. This form must be completed in person at the Brown Business Center in Page-Robinson Hall on the second floor. Stipend payments will not be disbursed until an I-9 form has been completed. Students should bring either their social security card, or receipt of application for a social security card.

Please note: If you do not already have a social security number, you will need to apply for one. International Students must bring their passports and the I-94 and I-20 forms, issued by the University from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS).

Students receiving stipends from the University (assistantships, proctorships, and fellowships) can use direct deposit to have their payroll checks deposited to one or two financial institutions anywhere in the United States; the institution must be a member of the ACH (Automated Clearing House). 

Also note: Graduate students should complete Brown University’s Direct Deposit Form through Workday.

For tax information, please refer to the Payroll Office's website and this FAQ for graduate students.