The Child Care Subsidy for Graduate Students aims to help graduate student parents with the costs of child care for children ages 0-6. The subsidy award provides eligible graduate students with up to $5,000 a year, per child (up to 3 children), per household.
- Calendar year 2020: Eligible graduate students may still apply for child care subsidy funds for the remainder of 2020 calendar year (see below).
- Calendar year 2021: Please review the eligibility criteria below in advance. Application is due October 29.
Graduate student parents eligible for the subsidy:
- Are enrolled in a degree program at least half-time.
- Have a legal dependent between the ages of 0 to 6 for whom they are financially responsible in the upcoming year.
- Had a total household adjusted gross income of less than or equal to $100,000 in calendar year 2019 (for the 2021 subsidy)
- Are unmarried, or have a spouse who meets one of the criteria below:
a) Employed at least part-time
b) A full-time student
c) Considered legally disabled
d) Unemployed, but actively seeking employment
How to apply
Eligible graduate students should submit complete applications by October 29, 2020 or as soon as they become eligible to University Human Resources at [email protected] (please send securely via Virtru).
Eligible graduate student parents are strongly encouraged to submit their materials by the October deadline, allowing time for application review, award notification, and award processing.
Graduate students who become parents after the October deadline (either before December, or within the next calendar year (January - December) and meet eligibility criteria are eligible to apply for the current year subsidy once their child is enrolled in child care. Depending on when their application is received, awards may be prorated.
Interested in funds for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year?
Student parents newly matriculating in September 2020 and those students continuing at Brown who had become parents over the summer are eligible to apply for funds for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year if they meet the eligibility criteria. Such awards will be prorated based on the time of application receipt. For subsidy funds for the remainder of the 2020 calendar year, please use this form: 2020 Childcare subsidy application
Note: The 2020 and 2021 subsidy applications require income tax returns from 2 different years.
- For the 2020 subsidy funds, provide the first two pages of your 2018 income tax return form 1040.
- For the 2021 subsidy funds, provide the first two pages of your 2019 income tax return form 1040.
- Students should include the first two pages of your spouse’s 1040 if filed separately.
Subsidy applications must include the following components:
- Completed Application Form
- Supporting documents:
1) The first two pages of your IRS form 1040 from the prior year and the first two pages of form 1040 for your spouse if filed separately.
2) A copy of a birth certificate or certificate of adoption for the child(ren) receiving the subsidy
3) Work visa, if applicable, for a spouse who is unemployed but actively seeking employment.
Subsidy Award Disbursements
The child care subsidy is disbursed by check, either issued electronically, as an addition to stipend checks, or issued as a physical check sent to your campus box (if you are not set up for electronic payments). To be sure, please check with Payroll if you have questions. The subsidy is disbursed in two installments: the first in January and the second in September. It is recommended that students set up direct deposit to avoid any delay in receiving a payment.
Contact University Human Resources at 863-2009 or [email protected].