Nine doctoral and two master's students will explore university administration as part of the fourth cohort of the Brown Executive Scholars Training program. The Graduate School’s 12-week program helps to prepare doctoral and advanced master's students for administrative careers.
"This year's cohort will bring a wealth of extremely diverse personal, educational and professional training experiences to our roundtable discussions,” said Jabbar Bennett, Associate Dean of Recruitment and Professional Development, who leads the program. Hailing from 11 different programs, these students represent the largest and most diverse cohort of scholars to date."
The 2014 BEST participants are:
- Justine Allen, doctoral student in Neuroscience
- Keila Davis, master's student in Public Humanities
- Rachel Gostenhofer, doctoral student in History
- Sally Ho, doctoral student in Chemistry
- Stephen Jones, doctoral student in Molecular Biology
- Chiao-Wen Lan, master's student in Public Health
- Karina Mascorro, doctoral student in Italian Studies
- Brandeise Monk-Payton, doctoral student in Modern Culture and Media
- Colleen Tripp, doctoral student in American Studies
- Lawrence Were, doctoral student in Health Services Research
- Aleysia Whitmore, doctoral student in Ethnomusicology
Each will be paired with an administrative sponsor to learn about their role and receive advice and support as the student explores a potential career in academic administration. Sponsors come from a variety of offices across campus, including the the Offices of the President, Provost, Dean of the College, and Campus Life.
Students will hear from speakers each week on topics ranging from diversity in higher education to effective academic leadership and external communications.
"Through BEST, graduate students gain keen insight into University administration and are granted unprecedented access to individuals who are essential to our academic, research and teaching mission," said Dean Bennett.
The program concludes in mid-April with a ceremony and certificate presentation.