The Health Behavior Concentration prepares students to understand and apply theories of health behavior and health promotion to improve population health. Students in the Health Behavior Concentration will gain experience in behavioral-social science frameworks and methodologies for designing, implementing, and evaluating interventions, and in disseminating and translating findings for diverse communities. The Health Behavior Concentration also emphasizes the roles of cultural competence, ethical practice, professionalism, and community collaboration as vital to the design and delivery of public health interventions.
Health Behavior Concentration-Specific Competencies
- Explain the similarities and differences, strengths and weaknesses of predominant behavioral and social science theories for public health.
- Apply the component principles of behavioral and social science theories to health behaviors.
- Examine how behavioral and social science theories can be used to facilitate change in health-related behavior
- Apply principles of health literacy and communication best practices to develop a brief health communication.
- Design health communications to promote behavior change that results in decreased risks for disease and/or promote wellness.
- Develop a plan to monitor and assess the reach, fidelity, and outcome of health communications.
- Examine the causes and consequences of health disparities from the perspective of multiple behavioral and social science perspectives.
Students who matriculated prior to Fall 2018 should click here.
Health Behavior Concentration Courses
Complete both of the following courses:
- PHP2340, Theories of Behavioral and Social Sciences in Public Health
- PHP2380, Health Communications
Complete two of the following health behavior content focused courses:
- PHP1400, HIV/AIDS in Africa: A Multidsiciplinary Approach to Support HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment Programs
- PHP1540, Alcohol Use and Misuse
- PHP1600, Obesity in the 21st Century: Causes, Consequences and Countermeasures
- PHP1610, Tobacco, Disease and the Industry: cigs, e-cigs and more
- PHP1890, The Craving Mind
Complete one of the following courses focused on issues of social determinants of health and diversity:
- PHP1920, Social Determinants of Health
- PHP2325, Place Matters: Exploring Community-Level Contexts on Health Behaviors, Outcomes and Disparities
- PHP2365, Public Health Issues in LGBT Populations
Health Behavior Concentration Lead
David Williams, PhD