Mission and Goals of the Center
The Center for Environmental Health and Technology (CEHT) will foster and facilitate interactions between a number of related activities within the Brown community, including the School of Public Health, the School of Medicine, and the School of Engineering. The Center is also active in seeking interaction with the Institute at Brown for Environmental Studies (IBES). Specific goals include:
- Development of a Environmental Health Section within the Department of Epidemiology in the Brown University School of Public Health. Going forward, CEHT will further support faculty recruitment, facilitate teaching and grow the field such that the Brown University School of Public Health is a recognized leader in this cornerstone discipline.
- Encourage the integration of Environmental Health across the entire Brown University campus, including IBES, The School of Medicine, the Watson Institute and the School of Engineering.
- Develop and enlarge the research and training base in translational science.
- Further development of significant grant funding that supports research in environmental health across the University and Hospitals by competing for funding that broadly catalyzes these efforts, and sharing funds via pilot project support.
- Engage in effective Community Outreach to communicate the potential health hazards and to guide the development of plans for the appropriate remediation and reuse of contaminated sites, assuring continued economic development and job growth within our densely populated urban and suburban centers.