Transit of Venus Across the Sun:
(Observed in 1769, 1882 & 2004)
Above: Benjamin West's diagram of the Transit of Venus, 1769
More Information on the Transits:
- Benjamin West's writings about the 1769 transit of Venus 5.5MB (pdf).
- Image of telescope used, at Brown, to observe 1769 transit of Venus. 22k (72dpi) or 658k (300dpi).
- Portrait of Benjamin West.
- Images of Winslow Upton, first director of Ladd Observatory and a newspaper clipping of Upton's 1882 transit observations.
- Graphic explaining 2004 Transit with times for EDT (15k).