Transits of Venus Across the Sun:
(Observed in 1769, 1882, 2004, & 2012)
Above: Benjamin West's diagram of the transit of Venus, 1769
More Information on the transits observed at Brown:
- Benjamin West's publication about the 1769 transit of Venus 5.5MB (pdf).
- Image of the telescope used by West, at Brown, to observe the 1769 transit of Venus. 22k (72dpi) or 658k (300dpi).
- Portrait of Benjamin West.
- Images of Winslow Upton and a newspaper clipping of Upton's 1882 transit observations.
- Image of the 2004 transit of Venus taken by Bob Horton using the telescope on the roof of the Barus & Holley Physics building.
- Image of the 2012 transit of Venus taken by Mike Umbricht using the telescope at Ladd Observatory.