The Faculty Research Travel Fund (FRTF) is available to voting members of the Brown campus-based faculty for assistance in meeting the cost of professional travel during any fiscal (budget) year, July 1-June 30. The FRTF is designated to support trips to attend conferences and to do scholarly research or field work. Faculty may apply for reimbursement for more than one trip per academic year, with a total reimbursement cap of $1500. Faculty are also eligible for a one-time supplement of up to $600 for a single trip to present a paper at an international conference. This $600 supplement will not count against the $1500 Faculty Research Travel Fund total. A faculty member on sabbatical leave may apply to the FRTF for aid in supporting travel expenses for scholarly research incurred in the course of one trip during that leave.
Application submission deadlines:
- On-line applications must be submitted prior to travel. Applications for travel dates that fall between May 15 and June 30 must be submitted by no later than May 15th. There will be no exceptions.
- Other available funds: If there are any funds available that can be used for the particular trip (startup, GIF, or other research funds) those funds should be exhausted first before applying for FRTF support. Funds that are designated for another purpose need not be exhausted before applying to the FRTF.
- Department Chair’s approval and certification: Check the appropriate box to certify that you have secured the approval of your department chair or center director, and that no other funds are available to you.
- International Travel: To request use of the one-time supplement of up to $600, check off the box on the application designated for that purpose.
- The applicant and department manager will receive email notification as soon as the application is approved by the manager for the Office of Faculty Governance. The department manager may then process FTF transactions through Workday Financials. Department Managers should not charge the Faculty Travel Fund without prior approval from the Office of Faculty Governance.