Undergraduate Study in Chemistry at Brown
Courses and research opportunities within the department span the range from fundamental studies involving the characterization and preparation of synthetic and naturally occurring molecules, to interdisciplinary studies at the interfaces of chemistry with biology, medicine, physics, engineering and nanoscience.
The department oversees three different Concentrations – Chemistry, Biochemistry (jointly with MCB), and Chemical Physics (jointly with Physics). The Chemistry concentration has three tracks (Chemistry, Chemical Biology, and Materials Chemistry). The Sc.B. degrees in each of these concentrations provide a thorough foundation for further graduate study or for entry-level technical positions in each area. We also offer the A.B. degree in Chemistry, which provides a core education in the discipline. Several of our graduates are awardees of prestigious Goldwater and Rhodes scholarships, and many of them routinely go on to the top national and international graduate programs in chemistry and biochemistry.
Undergraduate students at all levels (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors) are actively involved in research with the more than 20 faculty members in the department. There is a vibrant Chemistry Department Undergraduate Group (ChemDUG) within the department that holds meetings every 4-6 weeks during the school year.
- Download the Department of Chemistry Undergraduate Handbook.
- Refer to the Chemistry Concentration Checklist regularly to ensure that you are on track for graduation and satisfying concentration requirements.
- Join the Chemistry Department Undergraduate Group listserv to hear about current happenings.
- View a list of research, internship, and scholarship opportunities for undergraduates.
- Learn about Sigma Xi International Honor Society qualifications and how to apply.
- Download the Chemistry Department Guidlines for Senior Theses.
- Biochemistry Concentration Advisor - Christopher Seto
- Chemistry Concentration Advisor - Amit Basu
- Chemical Physics Concentration Advisor - Richard Stratt
- ChemDUG Coordinators - Daniel DeCiccio and Tess Carter
- Transfer Credit Approval - Eric Ferrara
- Chemistry department undergrad listserv - Chemistry@brown.edu. You will receive notices of upcoming department events, internship and scholarship information.
updated Sept 5, 2014