Dear Brown Student Organizations,
Spring Weekend is rapidly approaching and planning is underway. The Student Activities Office (SAO) would like to inform you of some important deadlines for registering your events and remind you of University policy regarding alcohol use.
Event Registration and Alcohol Policy for Spring Weekend
- SAO will consider approval for social functions during the following times: Friday, April 11th from 5 PM-2 AM, Saturday, April 12th from 11 AM - 2 AM, and Sunday, April 13th from 11 AM - 5 PM. Social events may not last for longer than 6 hours. Social functions are not allowed outside of these times.
- All events that include alcohol OR that anticipate an attendance of more than 50 persons must be registered with the University. Recognized student organizations should register events with the Student Activities Office by 12 noon on Friday March 14th, 2014. Greek and Program Houses should register events with Kate Tompkins in the Office of Residential Life (Grad Center E room 417) by 12 noon on Friday, March 14, 2014. By events, we mean all gatherings in community spaces, including members-only socials in Wriston lounges or basements as well as porches and green spaces on Wriston Quad. No exceptions and no impromptu events will be allowed.
(Note: event registration is usually for events of 100 or more; this number has been lowered to 50 for Spring Weekend). Event registration forms and other helpful information is available at http://www.brown.edu/campus-life/events/student-activities/event-planning or the SAO.
- Large events will require the presence of professional event managers to manage the doors and bartending services. The SAO and Residential Life will work with groups to determine what staffing may be necessary.
- Requests for events with alcohol will only be approved if food and nonalcoholic beverages are provided in sufficient quantities; day/afternoon socials must have a food focus (i.e. barbeques, etc.). More information is available at http://www.brown.edu/campus-life/events/student-activities/event-registration
- As usual, all University policies and state/city laws must be observed. Alcohol above 80 proof, shots, kegs, beer balls, large containers of alcohol, Jell-o shots, bottled beer, and drinking games are prohibited. Carrying open containers is illegal and beverages must be served to guests. During Spring Weekend, the legal drinking age is still 21 years old.
- Alcohol is not allowed on patios unless the event is registered. For registered events that include the use of the patio, beverages and cups may not leave patio area.
- Organizations are responsible for cleaning up their event space. Indoor furniture is not to be moved outside.
- Any social function that experiences a false fire alarm will be shut down.
- All groups must submit an overview of their advertising plan and copy of their promotional materials when they submit their registration on or before March 14th. Event advertising must include information about admission policies. Off-campus advertising of any Spring Weekend social function is prohibited.
We are looking forward to working with your group to plan an enjoyable and safe Spring Weekend. If you have any questions, please contact Joie Steele (Joie_Steele@Brown.edu).