Lost or Stolen Brown Cards

All lost or stolen cards shall be reported to the Brown Card Office or the Department of Public Safety as soon as possible.

There are three (3) ways to report your Brown Card missing:

  1. Cardholders who lose or misplace a Brown ID card during regular business hours (8:30 am - 5:00 pm) shall notify the Brown Card Office (69 Brown Street, Suite 511, 3-2273) immediately. Once notified, the Brown Card Office will deactivate the card, preventing others from utilizing funds associated with it. 
  2. If a card is lost during non-business hours, the cardholder shall report the missing card to Brown Public Safety (75 Charlesfield Street, 3-3322), and receive a temporary dormitory access card upon providing positive proof of identification.
  3. Cardholders may also log onto GET to report a lost card, which will immediately remove all spending privileges from the card. 

After reporting a card missing or stolen, you may replace your Brown Card by visiting the Brown Card Office during regular business hours. During non-business hours, cardholders may receive a temporary card to access dormitories at the Department of Public Safety.