Dependent Care Travel Fund


We have revised and expanded the terms of the Dependent Care Travel Fund to provide enhanced support for faculty research in academic years 2021-22 and 2022-23.

Funds will continue to be available to support family care-related expenses for faculty attending academic conferences and/or conducting research away from campus. In addition, requests may now be submitted for reimbursement of expenses incurred at home that enable a faculty member to fulfill professional responsibilities outside of the hours when the usual care arrangements are in place. The maximum amount that may be reimbursed has been raised from $750 to $1500 per academic year.

Funds are available to support faculty attending academic conferences and/or conducting research away from campus who have child care responsibilities which may make this difficult.  Awards of up to $750 per academic year (July 1- June 30) are available to assist campus-based, full time faculty (Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors), with expenses incurred in association with professional travel. Examples of expenses that may be supported include additional, above-the-ordinary, hours of care for dependents at home; contracting for childcare at a conference or research site; or transporting a dependent and/or professional caregiver to a conference location or research site. Spouses, partners, and other family members are not normally eligible for travel expenses or compensation.  To apply for funding please complete this online form. Applications must be received at least two weeks in advance of travel, and should include details of the conference or other event, an explanation of its importance for professional development, the name and age of the dependent requiring care, a description of the arrangements for which support is requested, and a budget. Please note that under current tax law, this is treated as a taxable benefit and is subject to tax withholding.