Family Friendly at Brown

Child and Dependent Care

  • Brown University’s Child Care Subsidy helps you pay for your child care expenses by granting awards of $1,000-$4,000 a year for those whose total household adjusted gross income is less than or equal to $100,000 per year.
  • The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account allows employees to set aside portions of salary on a pre-tax basis to pay for out-of-pocket dependent care expenses which allows the employee or spouse to work, seek work or study as a full-time student.
  • The Dependent Care Travel Fund provides support for above the ordinary care-related expenses of faculty who wish to take part in professional activities such as conferences or travel for research, but whose dependent care responsibilities make this difficult.

Parenting, Teaching, and Tenure

  • Untenured faculty members are entitled to a one-year extension of their contract upon the birth or adoption of a child.  Details of the policy can be found here.
  • Parental Teaching Relief - Brown University provides one semester of classroom teaching relief for faculty members who are primary caregivers for newborn children or newly adopted children. This is not considered to be a leave, and the faculty member’s responsibilities to conduct research, advise students and participate in University and departmental affairs remain unchanged. The point of the policy is to provide sufficient time to faculty members coping with the demands of being primary caregiver to an infant or newly adopted child. Faculty members wishing to receive teaching relief should contact their department Chair and the Dean, preferably six months in advance of the requested relief, and also complete this online form. For more on this policy, go to: The Handbook of Academic Administration (Section 7.8.3).

Resources for Partners and Spouses