Tenure and Promotions
The Office of the Dean of the Faculty has oversight of the tenure, promotion, and reappointment processes for internal candidates, as well as the appointment of senior external hires, for all divisions of the University. The Prep Guide link below contains all Faculty ranks and actions which require TPAC review. The staff in the Dean’s office work closely with department chairs to guide and advise them on the preparation of candidate dossiers. The Tenure, Promotions, and Appointments Committee (TPAC), a faculty committee, meets weekly during the fall and spring semesters to review these dossiers. Current members are listed on the Faculty Governance website.
The procedural requirements and safeguards of these TPAC reviews have been developed with the greatest care and are now exceptionally well codified. The material on this website, including a section on Best Practices for Reappointments and Promotions, as well as Chapter 10 and Appendix C of the Handbook of Academic Administration, provides guidance on the preparation of dossiers.
- September 15. Reappointments of assistant professors with academic year contracts (July 1 start date) and reappointments of lecturers
- January 7. Tenure dossiers (promotions from assistant to associate professor, with tenure)
- March 1. Reappointments of assistant professors with calendar year contracts (January 1 start date), reappointments of senior lecturers
- April 1. External appointments with tenure. NOTE: these cases may be submitted for review throughout the academic year, with April 1 being the latest date they may be received.
- All other faculty actions (promotion to full professor, promotion to senior lecturer or distinguished senior lecturer, and non-regular faculty actions) are normally accepted throughout the year, keeping in mind that any dossiers submitted for review after February 15 cannot be guaranteed a spot on the spring docket for (TPAC).