Applying for Brown University Funding

All funding through Brown University Graduate School and Executive Masters Programs is controlled and administered by your Department or Program. Your Admission application will serve as the initial application to determine any eligibility for merit based funding if available from your program. We strongly suggest contacting the specific program you are interested in to see if there is an additional application or requirement(s) or in order to be considered for financial aid.

Applying for Federal Student Loans 

All graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents can apply for federal funding, most commonly in the form of Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Federal Graduate PLUS loans. To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is completed online each academic year you will be enrolled at Brown University. Be sure to review the following items to ensure that the Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA for federal aid consideration:

  • Review the recommended loan filing dates based on the initial billing date of your program.

  • Complete the FAFSA that matches your academic aid year enrollment (i.e. 2020-21 FAFSA if the program starts in September 2020 and ends May 2021)

  • List Brown University’s graduate Federal school code of E00058. Do not include the undergraduate school code of 003401.

  • If your FAFSA is selected for verification, additional information will be requested via email by the Office of Financial Aid before loan eligibility can be processed. 

Applying for Private Educational Loans

All graduate students who are U.S. Domestic or International Students can apply for private educational loans. While U.S. citizenship is not a requirement, the majority of private educational loan lenders require that the borrower designate a co-signer who is U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident with favorable credit history. Students must complete any private loan application through the lender and not through Brown. Students have the right to pursue and borrow from any private lender of their choosing. However, Brown does provide a historical list of private loan lenders. Eligible students are encouraged to exhaust need based Federal Loans before applying for credit based loans. When applying for a private educational loan, be sure to select Brown University Graduate Financial Aid on the lender’s website, and not simply Brown University as your school choice.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Does Brown University offer graduate students financial aid?

Students who apply to Brown University’s graduate school may be eligible for financial assistance. Students who are interested in one of Brown’s Doctoral degree would be guaranteed 5 years of financial support if admitted. Financial support for master’s program candidates is determined on a program level if funding is available. Students may apply for loans or outside funding to help cover their degree costs. More information can be found on our Graduate Overview page.

How will I know I am a recipient of financial aid from my program?

Applicants typically receive information on their eligibility for financial aid from their program within their admission acceptance notification. Some departments may send a separate notification regarding your specific financial aid, but there is not a standard award letter.

If there is no award letter, how can I determine the overall cost after any financial aid from my program?

Students who wish to determine their overall cost after any aid can visit our How to Finance Your Brown Education page for a financing worksheet. Students can also request an interactive financing worksheet by emailing our office directly at [email protected]. This will assist students to determine their overall costs or if other funding, such as educational loans or outside scholarships, may need to be utilized.

When will I hear about my eligibility for loans?

If you have already been admitted to Brown University and chosen to enroll, any initial federal loan eligibility will be automatically posted to your account once a FAFSA has been submitted. Students are notified via their Brown email account that their federal loan is ready to be reviewed. All graduate students who have matriculated and completed a FAFSA would receive notification in late April. Any students who enroll or complete the FAFSA after that time should expect notification within 3 to 5 business days.

I am an international student, can apply for Federal Student loans through FAFSA?

Unfortunately international students are ineligible for Federal funding through the U.S. Department of Education. However international student can still apply for outside funding or for private educational loans. However it is important to remember that most private educational loan lenders require a U.S. Citizen as a co-signer.

Can I set up an appointment to discuss financing options?

The Office of Financial Aid offers a counselor walk-in service Monday through Friday that does not require an appointment. You may call or stop by our office during the hours listed on our Counselor Calendar and may find out contact information here.