Community members are encouraged to review these tips before using Uber and Lyft ride sharing services:
1. Plan ahead. Before you request a ride, think about where you’re headed and review the safety features in the app so you know how to use them.
2. Request your ride inside. Avoid spending unnecessary time outside alone with your phone in your hand. Instead, wait indoors until the app shows your driver has arrived.
3. Get in the right car. Before you get in the car, check that license plate, driver photo, and driver name all match what’s listed in the app. Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never get in a car with a driver who claims to be with Uber and offers a ride.
4. Avoid riding in the front seat - If you’re riding alone, sit in the backseat. This ensures you can safely exit on either side of the vehicle to avoid moving traffic, and it gives you and your driver some personal space.
5. Share your trip details with a friend. While en route, tap “Share status” in the app to share your driver’s name, photo, license plate, and location with a friend or family member. They can track your trip and see your ETA without downloading the Uber app.
6. Follow your intuition. Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when riding with Uber. And if you ever feel you’re in an emergency situation, call 911 immediately.
7. Download the Brown Guardian APP — This free mobile app which enhances your personal safety on campus. Brown Guardian allows quick call actions to DPS and other important campus resources. Also features a text option allowing users to send anonymous tips to DPS. View our Brown Guardian Instructional Video to install and set up Brown Guardian or it can be downloaded as Rave Guardian by Rave Mobile Safety from Google Play or iTunes or by navigating to the Rave Mobile Safety site from your phone’s browser and entering Brown University.