Brown University has partnered with Zipcar to offer Brown community members an alternative to driving or bringing a car to campus. Zipcar is improving urban life by providing wheels when you want them.
Zipcar is an internet-based service that allows you to rent a car for an hour or two or for an entire day. It is a turnkey program that includes everything – vehicles parked right on campus, on-line reservation system, gasoline, insurance coverage, and billing.
- 18+ years of age eligibility for Zipcar membership
- 26 Zipcars to choose from - including a Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Subaru Impreza, nissan Pathfinder, BMW X1, Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, VW Golf, and Ford Focus.
Five locations on campus:
- Lower level of Lot # 68 the Power Street garage (entrance on Brook St. across from fire station)
- 217 Bown Street, Lot #7
- 20 Olive Street, Lot #77
- Young Orchard Ave, Lot#54 (next to Owig Music)
- J. Walter Wilson, Lot #17
- Richmond Street, Lot #105 accross from the front entrance of the Alpert Medica School
Contact the Transportation Office at (401) 863-3157 with any questions.
Brown University students, faculty and staff pay an annual $15 fee and no application fee. $10.00 off annual membership thanks to Ford! Hourly rates range from $8.00 to $13.00 depending on the type of vehicle reserved.
How Does Zipcar Work?
- Join: Just apply online. It only takes a few minutes. Once you're approved, you get your very own Zipcard.
- Reserve: Reserve a car for a couple hours or an entire day. Reserve online or use a phone.
- Unlock: Walk to the car, then just hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The doors will unlock, and it's all yours!
- Drive: Drive away... and return to the same reserved parking space at the end of your reservation. It's that simple. And remember, gas and insurance are included too.
Visit the Zipcar website to learn more and join the program.
Various community participants have agreed to offer discounts to Brown faculty, staff and students. In most cases, you must show your Brown Card to take advantage of the offers described below. Brown University does not sponsor or endorse any of the businesses included in this list, nor does it guarantee the quality of the products and services.
Click here to view the current community discounts available. This list is updated periodically with new offers - check back frequently!