What is an Independent Concentration?
Check out the following videos to hear from fellow students about their IC experience and to get ideas for creating your own.
Rebecca - Human Evolutionary Biology and Behavior
Ria - Migration Studies
Alexandra - Educational Neuroscience
Ivy - Social Innovation
Amelia - Art and Visual Perception
Shayna - Geography
*Updated IC Guidelines Effective Fall 2016*
The committee will only review applications from students who have satisfied both requirements below.
(1) IC applicants must submit their first IC proposal by the end of their 5th semester. *Students who are entering Fall 2016 as 6th semester students are exempt from this new requirement.
(2) IC applicants must meet with at least one of the IC Co-Coordinators before submitting their proposal. Check Meet the CRCers to view the IC Co-Coordinators' open hours.
Students interested in learning more about Independent Concentrations should consult the following resources:
- The IC Application provides a straightforward outline for the IC proposal.
- The IC Info Sheet has additional information about the declaration process.
- The IC Database contains a list of all past ICs and a form to request digital copies of past ICs. Twenty years of paper copies of ICs are also available at the CRC. >>> UPDATE: Some requests for proposals were inadvertantly deleted. Please submit you request again.
- The IC FAQ Sheet
- The Faculty Advisor Info Sheet
- The Requirements for the A.B. and Sc.B.
The IC Coordinators hold regular office hours at the CRC (Campus Center, Room 228) and are more than happy to guide students through the process. If students have any questions about ICs or doubts about their concentration plans in general, they can stop by office hours or email Independent_Concentrations@brown.edu with questions or to schedule a meeting with one of the coordinators.