What is an Independent Concentration?
The IC sub-committee of the College Curriculum Council, a committee of faculty, deans and students, will only review applications from students who have satisfied both requirements below.
(1) IC applicants must submit their first IC proposal by the end of their 5th semester; as long as the first proposal is submitted by their fifth semester, it can be fully approved as late as the end of their sixth semester.
(2) IC applicants must meet with at least one of the IC Co-Coordinators before submitting their proposal. Check Meet the CRCers to view the IC Co-Coordinators' open hours.
Students interested in learning more about Independent Concentrations should consult the following resources:
- The IC Application provides a straightforward outline for the IC proposal.
- The IC Rubric outlines the criteria which the Committee uses to evaluate proposals.
- The IC FAQ Sheet has additional information about the declaration process.
- The IC Database contains a list of all past ICs and a form to request digital copies of past ICs. Twenty years of paper copies of ICs are also available at the CRC.
- The Faculty Advisor Info Sheet provides additional information about IC advising and facuty advisor expectations.
- The Requirements for the A.B. and Sc.B. highlights the differences between expectations for A.B. and Sc.B. IC proposals.
- ICers are eligible for the Engaged Scholars Program (ESP) as an option, and proposal writers should indicate an interest in this in their proposal. For more information about ESP, visit the Swearer Center website.
- Approved IC proposals must include a statement about how the student plans to fulfill the writing requirement during their 5th-7th or penultimate semester when they upload their approved proposal in ASK.
The IC Coordinators hold regular office hours at the CRC (Campus Center, Room 228) and are more than happy to guide students through the process. If students have any questions about ICs or doubts about their concentration plans in general, they can stop by office hours or email Independent_Concentrations@brown.edu with questions or to schedule a meeting with one of the coordinators.