Independent Studies Quick Links
Final deadline for submission of proposals for independent study projects for Summer '21 and Fall '21 terms: April 2, 2021.
Syllabus writing workshop
You can access a step-by-step guide to constructing your own syllabus here.
Independent Studies info session
Thinking about creating your own independent study but are not sure how to go about it? You can watch this video and view this presentation to learn about the different types of independent studies and the process of creating one.
Remote Drop-in Advising Hours for Fall 2020: [all in Eastern Time (ET)]
- Wednesday: 9 AM - 12 PM & 2 - 5 PM
- Thursday: 1 PM - 4 PM ET
- Friday: 11 AM - 2 PM ET
You can stay tuned about all the independent studies deadlines and events by subscribing to our calendar!
- Before submitting an Independent Study Application, please read thoroughly the Frequently Asked Questions
- Application Materials - instructions for submitting the Independent Studies common application and supplements for GISPs, ISPs, and AIs.
- Faculty Info Sheet - everything faculty would want to know about being a (G)ISP/AI Sponsor (we recommend you hand this to your intended sponsor)
- Past GISPs Database - request digital copies of past GISPs. You can also stop by the CRC in Room 228 in the Campus Center to browse the Independent Studies archive.
- Potential GISP Ideas - submit your GISP ideas and find out more about the GISPs your peers are working.
- What to read the report from the very first GISP that spurred on the creation of Brown's Open Curriculum? Read the Draft of a Working Paper for Education at Brown University.
Coordinators and Contact Information
The IS coordinators advise students interested in Independent Studies and support students and faculty inovlved in current Independent Studies. Email them at [email protected] or drop by their remote advising hours!
- Connect IS with the broader CRC and Open Curriculum mission into our practice of mentorship.
- Help students create/navigate their educational path.