|Eligibility||Sophomores and Juniors interested in research careers in math, science, or engineering|
Authorized by Congress in 1986, the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation honors Barry M. Goldwater, who served the United States for 56 years as a soldier and legislator, including 30 years as a U.S. Senator advocating science education. Outstanding sophomores and juniors with excellent academic records, experience in and/or an intense commitment to research, and demonstrated potential for careers in mathematics and the natural sciences are invited to apply.
Candidates must intend to pursue a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering; students interested in medicine are only eligible if they plan to pursue a research career rather than a clinical one; they must be a sophomore or a junior during the year of nomination; they must have at least a “B” average and be in the upper fourth of their class; and they must be a U.S. citizen, resident alien, or a U.S. national. Candidates are evaluated on their demonstrated potential for and commitment to a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering, and outstanding academic performance.
Each scholarship covers eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 per year.
Brown is invited to nominate four candidates; thus, we hold an internal competition for all interested students. Applicants must submit a complete application by the December 12, 2016 campus deadline. We require one copy of the following:
- Research essay
- Three (3) letters of recommendation NOTE: Applicants should
not upload their applications nor should referees submit their letters
of recommendation through the Goldwater on-line application system until
the internal selection process is complete and Brown’s four nominees
for the award have been identified.
- Official Brown University transcript
- Official transcripts from other institutions attended including high school (if possible)
Instructions for applying:
Applicants will apply through UFunds, Brown's online application system. UFunds will open in late October for the Goldwater.
- UPLOAD the Research essay to UFunds
- REGISTER your three (3) recommenders on UFunds, Brown's online application system. Once you do so, the system will send a request for a reference with login information to the person registered. The referees are then responsible for uploading their references to UFunds by the campus deadline.
- SEND hard copies of your official Brown University Transcript, as well as transcripts from other institutions attended including high school (if possible) to Linda Sutherland, at campus box 1828.
Fellowship Program Coordinator
1 Prospect Street, Box 1828, Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
- Rigina Louise Gallagher, '15
- William Allen, '12
- Kate Alexander, '12
- Andrew O'Shea Furnas, '12