Resources for U.K. Fellowships

A number of fellowships support graduate study in the United Kingdom, most notably the Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright, Gates, Churchill, and Keasbey. Some of these awards are specific to one university, while others require you to identify the particular institution(s) at which you want to study. In both cases, you need to determine the program of study you want to pursue while on the fellowship. A successful applicant will have sound academic qualifications and a compelling rationale for studying in the U.K. 

In order to learn about programs that match your interests, you need to research the opportunities available at various universities, colleges, and institutes in the U.K. Narrowing the field among the more than 150 universities in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland may seem overwhelming. The electronic resources below will help you begin to identify departments and degree programs that match your abilities and interests. Print versions of U.K. postgraduate prospectuses are housed in Brown's Rockefeller Library and the Office of International Programs. Virtually all are accessible on the internet. The Marshall Scholarship site has links to every U.K. institution of higher education. Personal contacts are invaluable, so consult with Brown faculty who may know scholars and programs that match your interests.

When researching these programs, you will come across a number of terms that have meanings specific to higher education in the U.K. Definitions of commonly used terms that you need to understand are provided below.

Academic Staff: Faculty.

Course: A course is a whole program of study leading to a degree or diploma.

Faculty: A division, school, or department. E.g. Faculty of History = History Department. Faculty of Arts may include subjects we would classify in the humanities.

Module: A class, e.g. Chem 20.

M.Phil: A degree that falls somewhere between a U.S. institution's masters and doctorate degrees. M.Phil programs are one or two years in length.

Research Masters: A research masters is a degree program that requires you to have a clear research agenda. 

Revising: Reviewing, as in "We stayed up all night revising for our exam."

Scheme: A plan, a way of doing something (no negative connotations).

Taught Masters: A taught masters is a degree program that involves primarily seminars and/or tutorials. Taught masters include a thesis as well as or in place of exams, but the research grows out of coursework and is usually limited to a 10,000-20,000-word dissertation. You do not need to have a thesis topic established when applying to a taught program. 

Term: Quarter or semester. "Term" refers to the duration of a particular class.

Tutorial:  Independent study or group independent study. Typically a one-on-one academic meeting with an instructor.

General information about schools and study in the U.K.

The British Council Education site provides useful information and includes links to other important sites. 

University Compare's website includes an interactive map of U.K. universities. Click on a university's location to access that school's web site.

Sites that search specific "courses" of study (degree  programs)

Prospects focuses on postgraduate study in the U.K.

Hobsons is a commercial site, providing extensive information on postgraduate courses of study in the U.K.

Sites that rank courses (programs) and institutions

The Independent's Complete University Guide

The Guardian University Guide

Times Higher Education Supplement

These guides are primarily for undergraduates in the UK, but can be useful as an overview.  

Other places to look for funding

British Council Scholarship Search allows searches by country of origin, subject area, and host institution.

Hot courses: student money allows searches by academic institution, subject area, and key word.

Look through the website of the university you would like to attend. Start with information for prospective students. Then search both departmental and college websites for funding. Do not limit your search to funding earmarked for international students. 

 • At Cambridge, submit your application by the appropriate Gates and other International Trusts deadline--Cambridge time table. In addition to information provided for prospective students, look at the annual "Awards" issue of The Reporter.

Other helpful sites

The U.K Council for International Student Affairs offers useful advice for international students on immigration procedures, choosing courses, study methods in the U.K, etc.

International Students House provides information about housing options in London.

Goodenough College is a housing option for students doing degree courses in London.

Students Abroad: Useful US State Department advice for students traveling and studying abroad, including how to sort out passports and visas, how to vote while abroad, what to do in an emergency, etc.

Studying in the UK as a disabled student provides resources for studying in the UK as a student with disabilities.