The OIP feels that departmental support and promotion of study abroad is crucial to student participation.
There are a number of ways to promote study abroad to Brown students, and a member of the OIP team would be happy to meet with you to customize your approach and discuss Brown programs that would appeal to students in your classes.
- Invite an OIP peer to spend 5 minutes at the beginning of your class to promote study abroad in a relevant geography or academic focus.
- Offer an information session through OIP on a study abroad program.
- Share relevant programs, dates, and deadlines through a departmental newsletter. Reminders and frequent contact keep study abroad at the top of students' minds.
- Post a "study abroad" link from your departmental website. This link signals to students that they can study abroad if they concentrate in your academic area.
- Integrate student study abroad experiences and reflections into your own lecture; if you have advised a student on a Global Independent Study (GLISP), invite them to report on their findings during a relevant class.
We appreciate your support of students who participate in global engagement through study abroad. If you ever have questions, please email OIP@brown.edu.