Payment to Brown
Brown students who study abroad for a semester or full year for academic credit will be charged Brown tuition. Non-Brown students should consult their study abroad office to determine their payment policy.
The tuition payment to Brown does not cover the necessary costs of travel and living abroad nor other costs not directly associated with matriculation and related academic programming.
Student Resource Fee
The Student Resources Fee is assessed to all undergraduate students. The fee is used to fund offices, centers and programs that provide direct support and services to students. Learn more about the Division of Campus Life resources and remote resources.
Students will be billed automatically for Brown Student Health Insurance Plan, unless an online “Health Insurance Waiver Form” is completed prior to the waiver deadline. You will receive a Student Health Insurance Plan information packet, which will include instructions on how to waive the insurance online. Remember you will only be able to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan if you have other comparable insurance in place.
Please consult Brown's Insurance Office for further information.
Brown/CASA Housing & Flights
For some Brown/CASA programs, there are room, board, and group flight costs that may be billed by Brown. Please see your OIP advisor to confirm. Visit the program pages for detailed Brown/CASA program cost estimates.
Payment to Your Study Abroad Program
You are responsible for paying any non-tuition fees charged by your study abroad program. These charges typically include:
- Program deposit — if you are studying on an approved or petition program, you are responsible for paying the program deposit. Often these deposits are non-refundable.
- Room and Board (or partial board, depending on program). Some programs also have a housing deposit.
- Insurance — some programs have mandatory insurance coverage. This required coverage is in addition to the health insurance requirement from Brown.
Brown students participating in alternative approved or petition programs should consult their program website directly to determine costs not covered by Brown tuition.
Personal Additional Costs
In addition to fees charge by Brown and by your study abroad program, you will have expenses that you will accrue personally, which may include:
- Meals not included in your program fee
- Passport, visa, residency permit fees
- Books/course supplies
- Local transportation (bus or metro passes)
- Communications (e.g. cell phone, phone card)
- Vaccinations and immunizations (if required for location)
- Personal expenses
- Personal travel
- Storage costs for your belongings at Brown