In 2008-2009, the Cogut Institute for the Humanities inaugurated academic-year-long Undergraduate Fellowships each year for Brown undergraduate students in the humanities. This Fellowship is open to rising seniors only.
Undergraduate Fellows are expected to participate actively in the Cogut Institute’s regularly scheduled Fellows' Seminars and other center events. Undergraduate Fellowships provide an enhanced context for advanced honors students, including the opportunity for presentation of work and the benefits of critique from an exciting group of Cogut Institute Faculty Fellows, Mellon Postdoctoral Fellows, Graduate Fellows and Distinguished Visiting Fellows.
To apply, Brown rising seniors must submit the following by the application deadline:
- A statement (no more than three pages) outlining your area(s) of study and your specific research interests. You should also explain how your academic work would benefit from and contribute to a collective seminar experience among scholars in the humanities.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty, one of which must come from your honors advisor or thesis director.
- A letter of support from your department’s Concentration Advisor.
- A short writing sample (8-20 pages: your briefest, best work)
- The Undergraduate Fellowship application form
Submit one copy electronically to email@example.com. Faculty reference letters may be emailed separately.
Four Undergraduate Fellowships are awarded annually by the governing board of the Cogut Institute for the Humanities. A generous research fund is available with these Fellowships.
Applications for 2018-19 cohort open on December 14, 2017 and close March 2, 2018.