The Cogut Institute for the Humanities sponsors year-long fellowships for Brown University graduate students in the humanities. Graduate fellows in the fourth and fifth year of their doctoral program will receive a full stipend for the academic year, a $500 research award, tuition, the health services fee, and health and dental insurance. Graduate fellows in their sixth year will have their stipend and health insurance coverage funded by the Cogut Institute, and they must also simultaneously apply for a dissertation completion fellowship from the Graduate School to cover tuition costs.
Graduate fellows receive office space at the Institute and are expected to participate actively in its weekly seminar and other events. Graduate Fellowships provide an enhanced context for advanced doctoral students, including the presentation of work-in-progress and the benefits of critique from an exciting group of Faculty Fellows, International Humanities and Mellon Postdoctoral Fellows, and Visiting Faculty. A list of past and present Cogut Institute Graduate Fellows and the bios of current fellows are available.
Doctoral students must have advanced to candidacy by the start of the fellowship. If you have already advanced to candidacy or if you plan to advance to candidacy before the start of the fellowship, you are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Applications for the 2021–22 academic year open on Monday, November 9 and close on Friday, January 22, 2021. To apply, please submit the following materials using the Cogut Institute Graduate Fellowship application form (you must be logged into your Brown University email account to access the form):
- A 250-word abstract of your dissertation project
- A statement, in no more than 1,000 words, outlining your schedule of progress and completion for the dissertation and addressing how your research would benefit from and contribute to a collective seminar experience among scholars in the humanities
- A C.V.
- A short writing sample (8-20 pages: your briefest, best work)
In addition, you should request:
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must come from your principal dissertation advisor
- A letter of good standing and support from your department’s Director of Graduate Study
Faculty should email letters separately to [email protected].
Applications are reviewed by the governing board of the Cogut Institute.
Questions? Please email [email protected].