Due to limitations associated with Covid 19 protocols, The PPE Society is not currently taking applications for new members to join and participate during the Fall 2020 academic semester. We are taking applications for membership consideration to begin in the Spring 2021 semester presuming that some dimensions of in person learning via Covid have improved by then.
All qualified and enrolled students at Brown University, including incoming freshmen are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send the following application materials to [email protected]. The deadline for PPE applications for the Spring 2021 semester is December 5, 2020.
All qualified and enrolled Brown students, including incoming freshmen, are strongly encouraged to apply. Ideal applicants are those undergraduates contemplating an independent concentration in PPE or other similarly inter-disciplinary focused track and/or students pursuing independent research projects of an inter-disciplinary nature.
Your application should include:
- Cover letter explaining why you desire to participate in the PPE Society
- Current resume with accurate and up to date contact information (be sure to mention your year of entry and expected graduation year from Brown, along with your email address, physical address, and telephone number)
- Originally drafted essay (no more than 2500 words) in response to the following question:
What institutions and ideas are most responsible for contributing to the freedom, prosperity, and fairness of a society? What thinkers and or written works have you drawn inspiration from to develop your view? Are there conflicting perspectives on this issue? Why is your answer preferable to other theories? By what investigative process might one gain a sense of certainty and accuracy about their views on this issue? What standards of evidence and or processes of deliberation would you require to change your view? What would it take to change your mind?
Email your application to [email protected]. The deadline for PPE applications for the Spring 2021 academic semester is December 15, 2020. Applications not accepted will automatically be re-considered for enrollment in the Fall 2020 semester.
Recipients of PPE Scholarships will be required to fulfill the following expectations:
- Attend and participate in all meetings of the reading and discussion group held approximately every other week throughout the academic year
- Attend and participate at each semester's Janus Forum lecture
- Provide advisory council and recommendations regarding themes for reading groups and Janus Forum Lectures for future semesters
- Review and provide advisory council on student program ideas and grants submitted to the PTP