The video portfolio and alumni interview each provide a wonderful opportunity for us to learn more about you. Once logged into your Common Application you can opt in for a video portfolio or alumni interview. After you have submitted the Common Application you will receive access to your Brown Applicant Portal. Once logged in to your Brown Applicant Portal you will be given the option to submit a 2-minute personal video portfolio. The video portfolio and alumni interview are treated equally; we do not prefer one over the other. When submitting a video portfolio, Early Decision deadline is November 8 and Regular Decision deadline is January 8.
Similar to an interview, the personal video gives you an opportunity to tell us more about yourself, in your voice, beyond the information you provided in your application. Sharing a two-minute personal video is a helpful way to show us what makes you unique and why you are interested in attending Brown.
Possible topics may include: your academic interests, a family member or individual who has influenced you, the community that you are from, your reasons for applying to Brown or anything else that you would like to tell us about yourself.
Your video portfolio will be uploaded directly to your Applicant Portal through the link provided on the sidebar. You will need to log in to your Applicant Portal in order to submit your video portfolio. Once you have uploaded your video to your Applicant Portal, be sure to click PREVIEW to view your submitted video to ensure it appears correctly before hitting CONTINUE to submit.
Video Portfolio Tips
- Your video should begin with a short clip of you in front of the camera saying, "Hi, my name is [insert name] from [high school]." After that, what you choose to say and how you choose to say it is up to you. Simple and unrehearsed is fine, but you can be creative.
- We recommend you dress casually as you would for a school day or school event.
- Videos will not be evaluated for production quality, we recommend sitting in front of your laptop/camera/tablet/phone and speaking directly to the audience.
- Limit your video to no more than two minutes.
- Be sure your video in landscape orientation so your finished product will not require viewers to turn their heads to the side when viewing on a desktop computer.
- Make certain you are visible and audible during your video. Check the lighting and listen to your video after you have recorded it.
- We make every effort to contact each applicant who opts in for an alumni interview. This interview is a chance for you to learn more about Brown and to further convey your best qualities as a student and person. After we receive your application, we provide your contact information to alumni interviewers in your area.
- Once you opt in for an alumni interview an alumni interviewer will make every effort to contact you to arrange a convenient time and place for the interview. Communications will come directly from the alumni interviewer’s personal email, as opposed to an official Brown University email. Please be sure to check your email account, spam filter and voicemail box.
- Some areas host interviewing day events where applicants are asked to choose a time slot in which to meet with an alumni interviewer. Communications regarding these events may come from a local interview coordinator using software like SignUpGenius.
- We do not provide the alumni interviewer with your application materials; your interviewer only receives your contact information and intended concentration, and you do not need to bring a resume or additional materials to the interview.
- All interviews, whether in-person, at an interviewing day, by phone or by video chat are considered equally by the Office of College Admission. After the conversation, the alumni interviewer will send us a summary of your conversation, which we will add to your application file.
- Early Decision interviews run from late October through early December and Regular Decision interviews run from December through early February.