Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement in one of two ways:
- SAT (The essay section of the SAT is optional.)
- ACT (The writing section of the ACT is optional.)
We recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests of your choice. Strong Subject Test scores can be a positive piece to include with your application to Brown. The absence of scores will not disadvantage a student, particularly in cases when financial hardship prevents students from registering for the tests, or for those who may have found Brown too late in their college search to register for the Subject Tests. If you are applying to the Program in Liberal Medical Education, we strongly recommend one Subject Test in either biology, chemistry or physics.
Early Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the October test date. All Early Decision applicants should have test scores submitted prior to the November 1 deadline.
Regular Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the December test date. All Regular Decision applicants should have test scores submitted prior to the January 2 deadline.
English proficiency requirements for international students.
Sending Official and Self-Reported Test Scores to Brown
- If you attend secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or via your Brown Applicant Portal.
- If you attend secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test scores on your application and have official test scores sent directly to Brown.
- Early Decision admitted students will be required to submit official test scores by February 1.
- Regular Decision admitted students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test scores by June 1.