Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement in one of two ways:
- SAT (The essay section of the SAT is optional.)
- ACT (The writing section of the ACT is optional.)
We recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests of your choice. If you are applying to the Program in Liberal Medical Education, we strongly recommend one subject test in either biology, chemistry or physics.
- English proficiency requirements for international students.
We encourage applicants to submit a graded paper from an English, Literature, History, Economics, or other Humanities or Social Studies class.
- Choose a paper from either the current or prior academic year. For example, if you are applying in the fall of your senior year, the paper should be from a class taken during your junior or senior year.
- The paper should include the grade, and if the grade is available as a separate document, include that as well.
- Papers should be submitted to Brown after you submit the Common Application, through your Brown applicant portal.
Sending Official and Self-Reported Test Results to Brown
If you attend secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either self-reported test scores on the Common Application, or official test results sent directly to Brown.
If you attend secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test results on your application and have official test results sent directly to Brown.
Admitted students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test results by June 1.