U.S. Military Veterans

Brown values the extraordinary talents, experiences and diversity that veterans bring to campus. In recognition of your service, Brown commits to waiving the application fee and guaranteeing to offer an interview to all U.S. military service members and veterans who complete an undergraduate application.

Application Process

Depending upon your background, you may apply in one of three ways. All application categories lead to the same Brown A.B. or Sc.B. degree. Only one application option may be selected per application season, even if you qualify for more than one. If you are unsure which option may be best for you, or have other questions regarding the application process, please contact our veterans liaison.

Apply as a First-Year Applicant

If you have no college credits, or no more than one complete semester of college credit at the time of your proposed enrollment at Brown, you may apply as a first-year applicant, regardless of when you completed high school.

Apply as a first-year applicant.

Apply as a Resumed Undergraduate Education Applicant

If you have less than two complete years of college credit and have been out of high school for six years or more, you may apply under our Resumed Undergraduate Education (RUE) Program. Veterans may request a waiver of the six years out of high school requirement, to be considered on a case-by-case basis. 

Apply as a Resumed Undergraduate Education applicant.

Apply as a Transfer Applicant

If you have the equivalent of one to two years of full-time college experience, you may apply as a conventional transfer applicant or as a transfer applicant via the RUE program.

Apply as a transfer applicant.

Waiver of the Brown Undergraduate Application Fee

Effective 2017, all U.S. military service members and veterans automatically qualify for a waiver of the Brown undergraduate application fee. If applying to the RUE program, simply check the box indicating that you will apply for financial aid and follow the instructions to waive the fee upon submission. If you are applying as a first-year or transfer via the Common Application, please start the Common App, select Brown University as one of your schools and then email our veterans liaison to request the fee waiver before submitting the application. In your email, please include your branch and dates of service.


It is not necessary to request an interview. As long as you indicate your military status on your application, an alumni interviewer will contact you to make arrangements. Brown does not offer on-campus interviews; they are conducted in your local area, or may be by phone or video call. Please note that interviews usually occur after the application deadline, even if your application is submitted early.


In 2019 Brown became a proud college partner of Service to School's VetLink Program, which provides free application counseling to veterans. Brown is also a longstanding partner of the Marine Corps Leadership Scholar Program (LSP), which assists honorably discharging, reserve and veteran U.S. Marines with the college application process.  

Brown has partnered with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in support of the new Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. For more information, please consult the Office of Financial Aid.

For more information about the experience of student veterans at Brown, please visit the Office of Military-Affiliated Students.