Brown Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

We want to help you and your family understand the basics about Brown and our admission process. Choose from these topics (listed below) to find answers to the most frequently asked questions about admission to Brown.

If you don't find the answer to your question here, please ask us by using the contact form within each category.

What is your question about?

What is the Brown|RISD Dual Degree Program?

Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) offer a five-year dual degree program for students who wish to combine study in the liberal arts with concentrated work in the fine arts. Dual degree candidates would complete approximately half of their course work at each institution and graduate with the A.B. degree from Brown and the B.F.A. degree from RISD.

To be considered for this program, you must apply to Brown and to RISD independently and submit the Brown|RISD Dual Degree Program supplement to each institution. Only students who have been admitted to both Brown and RISD will be considered for the dual degree program. Some fields of concentration at Brown are not open to dual degree candidates, such as Engineering and Visual Arts.

Can I apply to Brown through the College Match program if I am not a US citizen?

Yes. We will consider all applicants regardless of citizenship.

What is the most important part of the application?

We read each applicant's file from cover to cover. Every component of the application conveys important information, but your academic accomplishments as a high school student will have the most influence on our admission decision.

Can I apply early decision to Brown|RISD?

Applications for the dual degree program will only be considered during the regular decision process.  You may apply to Brown early decision; however, if you are admitted your application for Brown|RISD will not be considered until the spring.  Given that early decision to Brown is a binding commitment, you are obligated to attend Brown even if you are not subsequently admitted to Brown|RISD.

Can I study abroad while on Brown|RISD?

Yes, you may study abroad.  It requires significant planning and is not feasible in every major/concentration combination, but students and their advisor look closely at requirements, courses, and different possibilities.

How can I have my application fee waived?

There is no fee to apply to the College Match process for QuestBridge Finalists. We will waive the $75 application fee for all other QuestBridge Finalists. You do not need to submit any additional paperwork. QuestBridge Non-Finalists may still qualify for the fee waiver by request. 

Brown University does not offer waivers for College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile application, however, you may qualify for an automatic fee waiver through the College Board when completing the online application.  If you qualify, you will be offered the waiver when selecting your payment method.

May I be a varsity athlete while I am in the Brown|RISD Program?

All athletic opportunities are available to Dual Degree students. Students may participate in intercollegiate varsity athletics at Brown while they are enrolled in the Dual Degree Program. Eligibility is governed by NCAA and Ivy League rules. In cases of conflict with academic scheduling, such as for example RISD Winter session, the academic program will take precedence over joining in the sport. Students interested in participating in intercollegiate varsity athletics should contact the Associate Director for Student Services in Brown’s Department of Athletics and Physical Education for further information.

Will I be interviewed as part of the Match process?

QuestBridge applicants will be assigned to a Brown alumnus who will do their best to contact you in November for a phone or video chat interview. If an alumnus is unable to schedule an interview with you before the Match results are released, and you do not match with Brown, our alumni will still offer you an interview as part of our Regular Decision process through February. 

What is the Program in Liberal Medical Education?

Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) combines undergraduate education and professional studies in medicine in a single eight-year program. The PLME is the only combined baccalaureate-MD program in the Ivy League, and one of the routes of admission to the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.

Can my high school counselor send in my test scores?

If the cost of submitting official test scores through the College Board or the ACT presents a problem, your counselor may send us your test scores by emailing us directly or by listing the scores on your transcript. We will consider these your official scores.

What should I do if I have technical problems while working on the Common Application or when I submit the forms online?

Please report your problems using the Applicant Help Center on the Common Application site.  Additionally the Common Application has the answers to many technical issues in their online Knowledgebase, available on the Applicant Help Center. 

Can PLME candidates apply Early Decision?

An early decision applicant who indicates a desire to be considered for entry into the PLME may be admitted in December to both the College and the PLME. However, some students may be selected for admission to the College but not the PLME. The Office of College Admission realizes that these students may not wish to be admitted to the College under a binding early decision program if they are not also admitted to the PLME. Hence, the office asks these PLME applicants to apply regular decision. Those who apply and are admitted to Brown but not to PLME will be considered for the PLME program during the regular decision review and the outcomes will be either admission to the program or still only admission to Brown the college.

Can I study abroad as a PLME student?

Students in the PLME program may study abroad, so long as they can still fulfill the requirements of the program.

How will I be notified if I match with Brown?

QuestBridge will contact you directly on December 1 if you have been matched with Brown. We will contact you shortly thereafter with an official letter of admission and your financial aid award.

Can I be pre-med if I am not in the PLME program?

Yes, you can be “pre-med” even if you are not enrolled in PLME.  Most Brown graduates who go on to successful careers in medicine were never enrolled in the PLME program.  We offer extensive counseling to students who are interested in continuing on to medical school after they graduate from Brown.  In fact, students who graduate from Brown are admitted to medical school at a rate that is almost twice the national average.

If I am a College Match finalist and do not match with Brown, can I still apply through the Regular Decision process?

We strongly encourage you to apply to Brown through our Regular Decision process. Please note that if you successfully match with a school that has a binding admission offer, you are not eligible for consideration in Brown's Regular Decision process. It is important to check with your match school to be sure you understand the terms of your match.

What is the RUE program?

The Resumed Undergraduate Education (“RUE”) Program is designed for undergraduate applicants who have been out of high school for six years or more, and who have no more than two years of prior college experience.  It is a full-time program which leads to a Brown University undergraduate degree.  For students applying to Brown through RUE, applications are due on March 1 for the following academic year. For more information please visit the RUE webpage.

What are you looking for in a RUE application?

Admission to RUE is highly competitive with typically over 100 applicants each year for about 10 spaces in the class. The RUE admission process takes into consideration both applicants' academic records as well as their non-academic accomplishments and life experience. Military veterans, working parents, small business owners, activists, artists, entertainers, and professional athletes are among those who have furthered their education and careers via RUE. Uneven or sub-par academic performance in high school or in a previous college experience is not an automatic disqualifier; however, successful applicants demonstrate convincing evidence that they are now prepared for the academic rigor at Brown. The RUE application, including the financial aid application, is separate from the Common Application, and is available on the RUE webpage.

Will I still receive financial aid if I do not match with Brown in the College Match process but am admitted later in the Regular Decision process?

Brown meets the demonstrated financial need of all admitted students, regardless of their method of applying. Brown's financial aid policies make attending Brown very affordable and accessible for low-and-middle income families, allowing students to graduate with no or minimal loan debt.  Additional financial aid application materials will also be required to be considered for financial aid during the Regular Decision process. Please refer to the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

How do I check on the status of my application after I've applied?

Once you have submitted your Common Application, you will receive access to your Brown Applicant Portal from us within 48 hours via email. You will use your Brown Applicant Portal to check the status of your application.

Can I be admitted to Brown's Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) as part of the Match program?

No. The first round of admission to the PLME will occur after the conclusion of the Match process.  If you are matched with Brown, we will consider your application to the PLME during Regular Decision. Please be sure to complete the PLME questions in the Common Application.

Both Questbridge finalists (scholars) and non-finalists who apply in Brown's Regular or Early Decision cycles using the Common Application can choose to apply to the Program in Liberal Medical Education by completing the appropriate questions about the PLME in the "Brown Questions" and "Writing" sections.

Can I be admitted to the Brown/Rhode Island School of Design 5-Year Degree Program as part of the Match program?

No. The admission review for this Program will occur after the conclusion of the Match process.  In mid-March of the application year, the Dual Degree Admission Committee will convene to discuss the applications of any Regular Decision applicants to the Program, and the applications of any Early Decision applicants who have been admitted or deferred. Final decisions will be mailed in late March or early April, immediately following the Regular Decision mailing date.

Both Questbridge finalists (scholars) and non-finalist who apply in Brown's Regular or Early Decision cycles using the Common Application can choose to apply the 5-year degree program by completing the appropriate section of Brown's Supplement to the Common Application.

How and when do I pay the application fee?

The application fee of $75 is due when you submit your application.  On the Common Application, you may use a credit card to pay the application fee, or you may request a fee waiver.

Can the application fee be waived?

As part of our commitment to make a Brown University education accessible to students from all income backgrounds, Brown is making automatic application fee waivers available to more students. Beginning in the fall of 2017, Brown will automatically waive the application fee for any student who is enrolled in or eligible for the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program (FRPL), as well as students who are enrolled in federal, state or local programs that aid students from low-income families (e.g. TRIO Programs). Additionally, Brown will automatically waive the application fee for any student who belongs to a Community Based Organization or College Access Organization that promotes educational opportunity for low-income students. Applicants to Brown who meet any of these requirements should select the "Brown Specific Fee Waiver" in the "Brown Questions" section of the Common Application. Brown will continue to honor fee waiver request forms from the College Board, NACAC, and school counselors.

Can a non-U.S. citizen request a fee waiver?

Yes. If the fee will present a considerable financial hardship for you and your family, you may ask your guidance counselor to submit a Fee Waiver Request.

The Common Application Secondary School Report and Teacher Evaluation Forms ask that I indicate whether I wish to waive my right to see the recommendation. Does my choice have any consequences in the admission process?

It is your right to view such documents if you are admitted and ultimately enroll. You also have the choice to waive that right, which your recommenders might appreciate as a sign of trust, and we appreciate as an indication that the recommender is providing unfiltered observations.

Do students with relatives who are Brown alumni have an advantage in the admission process?

Brown takes into account the natural affinity for the University that often emerges among family members of our graduates. In particular, we will note when an applicant has a parent who has graduated from Brown. While such a relationship may be a consideration when it comes to choosing among equally strong candidates, it does not ensure admission. Brown has a strong responsibility to create a new generation of successful college graduates.

How do I update my contact information once I've applied?

To update your address, email address or password please log into your Brown Applicant Portal.

I've already submitted my application, but would like to make a correction. How can I do this?

If you have already submitted your application and would like to make a correction, please email from the email used on your Common Application.  You may also fax your request to 401-863-9300, or you may mail it to Brown University, Office of College Admission, Box 1876, Providence, RI 02912. If mailing or faxing the corrections, please include your full name, your common application ID, and your signature.

How do I apply?

The process of applying to Brown University is both straightforward and comprehensive. The process will include submitting forms with biographical information, writing personal essays, keeping track of deadlines, taking and submitting standardized testing, and making sure that your school submits teacher recommendations and academic information. It will be important for you to stay organized and on top of what needs to be done when. We provide you with a step-by-step guide in our Guide for Applying.

By when, how and why must I submit a Mid-Year School Report?

For freshman applicants (including those who have been admitted Early Decision), the Mid-Year School Report should be submitted as soon as your mid-year grades are available, and no later than mid-February. If you are not given Mid-Year grades or evaluations (e.g., home schooled students, non-U.S. schools), please include a note explaining your circumstances under the “Additional Information” heading on the writing section of the Common Application.

For transfer applicants, the Mid-Term Report should arrive as early in April as possible. Brief progress reports from individual professors are welcome, if your school does not provide Mid-Term grades or evaluations.

By when and how do I submit a Final School Report?

Your counselor must submit the Final School Report, complete with a final transcript as soon as possible, but no later than July 15. S/he may submit it to us through the Common Application website. It is your responsibility to ensure that this is completed. You will not be permitted to enroll, unless we have received a final transcript.

May I drop a course from my grade 12 course load?

We do not advise students as to which classes to take. We believe that this is a choice that each student must make based on what is best for her or him. If you do chose to drop a course or change your course load at any time during the application process it is your obligation to update your application accordingly.

If you have already been admitted, however, you must maintain the course load that you submitted with your application material. If you want to make any changes to your course load after you have been admitted, you must contact our office in writing and request permission. All requests will be reviewed by the Board of Admission.

The application asks whether I was suspended or expelled from school. Would disciplinary action automatically disqualify me for admission to Brown?

No. We do ask for an explanation, however, so that we can better understand the circumstances and your perceptions of any such disciplinary action.

The application asks for information on criminal history. Will a misdemeanor or felony conviction automatically disqualify me for admission to Brown?

No. We do not consider information on criminal history during our initial round of admission application reviews. Only upon selecting a pool of admitted candidates do we learn whether you have reported a criminal history, at which point we will offer you an opportunity to explain the circumstances.

With this approach, information on misdemeanor or felony convictions can inform, but not determine, admission decisions. It ensures that applicants are evaluated based on their academic profile, extracurricular pursuits and potential fit - not criminal history - and enables us to continue to review this potentially important information.

Ultimately, our goal is to make an informed decision about what is best for you and best for Brown.

I applied to Brown last year and would like to apply this year. Can I re-use my application from last year, or do I need to resubmit the application and materials?

We ask applicants who are reapplying to Brown to submit new materials.  We do not retain admission documents from previous years; however official College Board or ACT scores are saved so those will not need to be resent

What are your deadlines for admission?

If you wish to apply Early Decision, you must submit your application by 11:59 pm on November 1. Our Regular Decision deadline is 11:59 pm on January 1. For additional deadlines please visit our homepage.

Do you accept the Common Application?

All Brown undergraduate applications are submitted online via the Common Application.  The online system will guide you through the process of providing the supporting credentials appropriate to your status as a first-year or transfer applicant.

What are the grade and score ranges for successful applicants?

You can learn more about the range of credentials for admitted students on our Admission Facts page. The figures are meant to provide a broad perspective of the academic strength of our pool of applicants only; they are not a set of requirements and should not be used to predict odds of admission.

Does Brown show a preference in the admission process for students who have demonstrated interest by visiting, calling and emailing?

Not at all.  Contacting the Admission Office is neither a requirement nor an advantage in our admission process.  We offer campus tours and information sessions to provide you with the information you need to make an informed college choice, not evaluate you.  And we welcome calls and emails for the same reason.  Please do not feel compelled to contact us to demonstrate your interest in Brown; we know by the very fact of you applying that you are seriously interested in Brown. The number of times you call or email us will not have and impact on your admission decision.

How much does it cost to apply?

$75. You may use a credit card by following the instructions on the online Common Application or you may send a check payable to Brown University to the Office of College Admission. If the fee will present a financial hardship for you and your family, you may ask your guidance counselor to submit a Fee Waiver Request, which you will indicate under the “Payment” section of the Common Application.

As part of our commitment to make a Brown University education accessible to students from all income backgrounds, Brown is making automatic application fee waivers available to more students. Beginning in the fall of 2017, Brown will automatically waive the application fee for any student who is enrolled in or eligible for the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program (FRPL), as well as students who are enrolled in federal, state or local programs that aid students from low-income families (e.g. TRIO Programs). Additionally, Brown will automatically waive the application fee for any student who belongs to a Community Based Organization or College Access Organization that promotes educational opportunity for low-income students. Applicants to Brown who meet any of these requirements should select the "Brown Specific Fee Waiver" in the "Brown Questions" section of the Common Application. Brown will continue to honor fee waiver request forms from the College Board, NACAC, and school counselors. 

How does Brown evaluate my high school record?

The most important consideration is your high school performance and preparedness. When it comes to assessing performance, we look beyond your grades to also consider how well you have mastered certain skills associated with learning. We review your teacher recommendations to get a sense of your curiosity, problem-solving abilities, openness to different points of view, ability to express yourself orally and in writing, work ethic, etc. To assess preparedness, we review the depth and breadth of the academic learning you have undertaken thus far. We want to know whether you have taken advantage of the courses available to you in your school, and whether you have challenged yourself in advanced classes, and whether you have stretched yourself with outside-of-school educational opportunities.

Does Brown rank high schools?

No. While we do consider characteristics such as a high school's level of academic offerings and rigor, we choose to concentrate on how well a student has used the resources available to him or her. We do not start with the assumption that students from a certain school are better candidates than those from another school.

Which teachers should I choose to send recommendations to Brown?

We require 2 teacher recommendations, and we will accept up to 4 through the Common Application.  Please note that if you are considering a Bachelor of Science degree or the Program in Liberal Medical Education, at least one of your recommendations should come from a math or science teacher.

May I submit additional letters of recommendation from my teachers?

In our experience, the required counselor recommendation and two teacher recommendations provide all we need to make a thoughtful, informed admission decision.  If, however, someone has unique knowledge of certain strengths or accomplishments that would not be addressed in the required recommendations, you are welcome to have another person write on your behalf.  You may submit up to 4 teacher recommendations through the Common Application.

How do you actually review applications and make decisions?

We read each applicant's file in its entirety. Every component of the application conveys important information, but your accomplishments as a high school student will have the most influence on our admission decision. The process is  holistic: we want to see what you have accomplished, as well as evaluate your potential to thrive within the unique offerings of Brown University. Each application will be reviewed by more than one member of our admission committee, and then all decisions will be made collectively by the Board of Admission. 

Is there a minimum grade average or class rank expectation for applicants?

No, but we understand that because Brown tends to attract applicants who have done exceptionally well, there may be a misconception that only straight A students are admitted. The fact is that it does not make sense for us to focus solely on grades as there other indications of academic and intellectual talent.  We know that grades at one school are not awarded in the same way as they are at another school. The same applies to class rank. Everything else being equal, students with high grades often do stand out among our applicants, but we do not make our admissions decisions based on a grade average or class rank without also considering the many other factors that help us gauge an applicant's promise.

I'd like to reach my individual admission officer, how can I find his/her contact information?

While the Board of Admission works as a team, we also each have primary responsibilities for specific geographic areas.  You can find the name and contact information for the admission representative assigned to work with your geographic area on our web site.

Does Brown admit freshmen for entry at mid-year?

No. We believe that the first year is best experienced as a coherent whole, so freshmen must begin their time at Brown in the fall semester.

Does Brown limit the number of applicants who can be admitted from a school or geographic area in a given year?

No. We view our applicants as individuals and pay no attention to the number of candidates from a single school or area. We know that there are rumors about patterns of admission for an individual school, but the truth is that we never place restrictions on the number of students we might admit from a certain school or geographic location.

I have questions for a specific professor; may I speak with him/her directly?

Brown faculty members are known for their excellence as both researchers and teachers. We invite you to connect with faculty members who work in the academic areas of greatest interest to you. Please use the Directory of Research and Researchers to search for those who may be best able to answer your questions.

Please keep in mind that Brown faculty members are fully engaged with their University work including teaching and mentoring Brown students, and so we urge you to respect their time.  Please check departmental websites for their email addresses and for any instructions that they have listed as to how they prefer to be contacted.

Brown values diversity - what does it mean in the admission process?

We look for intelligent, highly motivated students from all walks of life who have diverse backgrounds, interests, and cultural heritages.

Does Brown have admission quotas for any category of applicant?

No. While it may be interesting to describe a student population in terms of certain characteristics (the number of men and women, potential engineers, Oklahomans, students of color, international citizens, home schoolers, and so on), there are no quotas of any kind.

What is Brown's CEEB Code?

For the SAT, Brown’s code number is 3094.
For the ACT, Brown’s code number is 3800.

Does Brown take into account the level of competition at different high schools?

Yes. Communities vary widely in what they can provide in their high schools. We know that there are excellent, highly motivated students in every community and we encourage them to apply.

What if my Brown Applicant Portal indicates that my application is incomplete, yet I am certain that the missing document(s) have been submitted?

In the case of paper documents, you should immediately arrange to have a duplicate document sent to the Office of College Admission. It may be that an item was delayed or lost in the mail or even that your name was smudged on a form and we were unable to match the document with your file.  If your school and teachers have submitted documents online using the Common Application or Naviance, please log into your Common Application account to verify that documents have been submitted to Brown.

Lastly, please remember to allow ample time around our deadlines for documents to be received and filed in our office.  

Does Brown take into account the range of curricular offerings available at different schools?

Yes. We know that curricular offerings vary from school to school. Our strongest candidates have taken full advantage of what is available to them in their own schools. Highly motivated students often find outside learning opportunities (e.g., local college courses, independent study) to supplement their high school curriculum, especially when they have exhausted available courses.

Does Brown use a formula to evaluate academic credentials?

No. There is no formula that would accurately capture the academic ability and personal qualities we value most.

How will I be notified of the admission decision?

Once you are notified by email that admission decisions are available, you will view your admission decision by logging into your Brown Applicant Portal.

How do I notify Brown of my decision?

Please notify us of your decision by midnight May1 by accessing your Brown Applicant Portal. If you are unable to access this link, please email

What do you do if I am missing one or more of my SAT II subject test scores?

We will evaluate your application to the best of our ability with what you have sent us. However, we should caution you that our strongest applicants have completed all of the standardized testing that we request.

May I submit additional letters of recommendation from people other than my teachers?

In our experience, the required counselor recommendation and two teacher recommendations provide all we need to make a thoughtful, informed admission decision.

If, however, someone has unique knowledge of certain strengths or accomplishments that would not be addressed in the required recommendations, you are welcome to have another person write on your behalf.  Please have your recommender send the letter directly to the Office of College Admission, Box 1876, Brown University, Providence RI 02912, or they may be emailed to, or faxed to 401-863-9300.  Be sure to ask your recommender to include your full name and high school in their letter, so that we can match the letter to your application.

May I submit examples of my academic work?

For the overwhelming majority of applicants, your academic records and the support of your recommenders will provide all the information we need. If you think an accomplishment is particularly relevant, however, you may choose to submit an abstract describing a science or math research project, or creative writers might send a few carefully selected pieces (or excerpts). As a general rule, though, we favor quality over quantity in an application.

May I call the Office of College Admission?

We strongly prefer that you use our online Application Summary site to check whether items have been received and filed. With many thousands of documents and files, it is very difficult for us to check for individual items. The Application Summary site will indicate the most up-to-date status of your application.

I'd like to submit an art or music portfolio - how do I do so, and how are they reviewed?

Visual art and music portfolios are reviewed for us by faculty members in our Visual Arts and Music departments. You will need to submit your portfolio via Slideroom. Additional instructions can be found on our webpage

Are performing arts auditions (music, dance, drama) required?

No. Our performing arts faculty do not offer auditions. However, you may make inquiries about the opportunities for training and performing at Brown by contacting the appropriate department at Brown. Applicants with musical or artistic accomplishments may submit a portfolio. Applicants with musical or artistic accomplishments may include additional supplements along with your application in the Common Application, through SlideRoom.  

I'd like to submit an update to my application or other supplementary information, may I and if so, how?

Applicants to Brown are neither required nor expected to provide additional materials as part of the admission process, but the opportunity to do so is available to any candidate. You may use your Brown Applicant Portal if you have updates or additional materials that you would like to share with Brown. Examples include a resume, poetry or a brief writing sample, abstract of scientific research or an independent research project, and any additional information that you were unable to include in your Common Application.  Please note:

  • If you are accomplished in music or visual art and wish to include these types of supplements, please review our guidelines and submit those materials via SlideRoom.


Do you accept Score Choice or do you super score standardized testing?

We accept Score Choice. We will super score within both current and redesigned SAT, but will not super score using results from both versions of the test. For the ACT, we consider the highest scores submitted for each section; however, we do not calculate a super scored ACT Composite score.

What kinds of awards or distinctions should I include in my application?

You should include the achievements that make you feel particularly proud or that help to demonstrate your talents and interests. Keep in mind that a judiciously selected sampling may make a stronger impression than an exhaustive list.

For academic awards, please include enough detail so that we will understand the context of your accomplishment. For example, if you have won a poetry contest or placed high in a math competition, let us know in general terms the number of entrants or competitors and whether your award is an individual or a team achievement. You would not need to provide descriptions for common extracurricular recognitions, such as first chair of the orchestra, science club officer, sports team captain, or yearbook editor, but do note your title or role. If the activity or achievement would be less familiar to those outside your community, you may wish to include a brief explanation.

What standardized tests do you require?

Test Requirements: Applicants can satisfy our testing requirements in one of two ways: (1) Either the SAT with Essay, or (2) the ACT with Writing. We recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests of your choice. If you are applying to the Program in Liberal Medical Education, we strongly recommend one subject test in either Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

Official test results should be sent directly to Brown from either the College Board (SAT) or from the American College Testing Program (ACT). If the scores are recorded on your high school transcript, we will accept the scores provided to us on an official transcript.

We highly recommend that international applicants or students whose first language is not English take the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL), or the IELTS, and arrange for Brown to receive the official results. A TOEFL score of 600 or above on the written exam, or 100 or above on the internet-based exam, or IELTS composite of at least 8, is expected in most cases. 

Are there minimum standardized test requirements or expectations for applicants?

No. While we do receive many applications from students with high test scores, we consider standardized test results in the context of all the other information we have about a candidate. We find that many of our applicants demonstrate strong academic potential in spite of relatively modest test scores.

How does Brown evaluate standardized tests?

We look at your test scores along with other information about your academic promise as we read your complete application. We do not attempt to assess test results in a formulaic way. If you have taken tests more than once, we concentrate on your highest scores. For the three components of the SAT (two or three components of the redesigned SAT), we focus on your best scores, regardless of the date you took the test. We do not calculate averages, nor do we look at the sum total of the components.

Are both the SAT and ACT required?

No. Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement in one of two ways: (1) Either the SAT with Essay, or (2) the ACT with Writing. We recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests of your choice. If you submit both the SAT with writing and the ACT with writing, we will consider both.

How do I submit standardized test results?

You will have the opportunity to indicate which colleges you would like to receive your SAT or ACT results when you take the tests. You should be sure to indicate that you wish Brown to receive official results. (For the SAT, Brown = 3094. For the ACT, Brown = 3800)

Can my high school counselor send in my test scores?

We will accept scores as official scores if they are included on the high school transcript or if a certified score report is provided by the guidance counselor. The guidance counselor should provide a cover letter to ensure that the scores are added to the applicant's file.

By when must I submit my test scores?

Early Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the October test date and arrange for results to be sent directly to Brown on or before the November 1 Early Decision deadline. You may also submit additional test scores from the November administration of the SAT; however, we cannot guarantee that these test scores will be received in time to be reviewed with your application.  All applicants should have a complete set of test scores sent to Brown prior to the November 1 deadline.

Regular Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the December test date and arrange for results to be sent directly to Brown on or before the January 1 Regular Decision deadline. You may also submit additional test scores from the January administration of the SAT; however, we cannot guarantee that these test scores will be received in time to be reviewed with your application.  All applicants should have a complete set of test scores sent to Brown prior to the January 1 deadline.

I took my standardized test on the last sitting permitted, should I rush my scores?

You do not need to rush your test scores.  Please have them sent directly to us by the administering body.  Please be sure that, before your testing date arrives, that you have selected Brown as one of the colleges to receive your scores.

Does Brown allow the Score Choice option for reporting SAT results?

We automatically focus on your highest test scores and therefore Score Choice is a bit redundant. With Score Choice, it is very important that you have the SAT Critical Reasoning test results available to us when we begin reading completed Early Decision applications in December. If you are planning to include SAT Subject Tests in your application to Brown, those results should be made available to us when we begin reading completed applications in December as well. You must not wait to see December or January test results before making your score choices.

We will consider test results from the December and January SAT exams as those scores will reach us in time for us to see them before our final decisions are made in late March.

How do I apply for transfer admission?

By March 1 transfer applicants must have submitted the Transfer Common Application and the application essay questions specific to Brown.   Brown admits transfer applicants in two cohorts: one group will enroll at Brown in the following fall semester and another group will enter in the following spring semester.  Although there are two possible semesters of entry, there is only one transfer admission process per year, and the deadline to submit the transfer application every year is March 1.

If my test results appear on my secondary school transcript, do I need to submit official results?

Official test results should be sent directly to Brown from either the College Board (SAT) or from the American College Testing Program (ACT).  If the scores are recorded on your high school transcript, we will accept the scores provided to us on an official transcript.

Who is eligible to apply as a transfer applicant and how many semesters must I be enrolled at Brown University?

To be eligible for transfer admission you must have completed at least one full year of college study (or its equivalent) before your planned matriculation at Brown. Both part-time and full-time students at accredited two- and four-year colleges may seek transfer admission.

University rules stipulate that anyone admitted as a transfer must be enrolled full-time at Brown for at least four semesters prior to earning their undergraduate degree.  For this reason we discourage (but do not forbid) transfer applications from students who will have accrued more than four semesters of college work prior to their enrollment at Brown.  We only admit transfers with more than four semesters of completed college work in rare circumstances.

Students who are currently pursuing a dual enrollment program or an early admission program should apply to Brown as freshman applicants.

Will the courses I take at my current college transfer to Brown?

Generally speaking most liberal arts courses taken at other colleges and universities are transferable to Brown.  More specifically, Brown will transfer credit for courses at other colleges that are similar to courses offered in our own curriculum.  If you are wondering which of your classes may receive credit you should peruse Brown's online Course Search to see if the University offers a similar course.  Brown will not award transfer credit for correspondence courses, online courses, courses taken during summer programs, or for courses that were taken as part of a dual enrollment curriculum.  Brown also will not award transfer credit for AP test scores.

The University will not evaluate transferable credit prior to acceptance.  Transferable credit is determined after a student enrolls.  When an applicant is accepted, their acceptance letter will include information about the semester level at which they will enter (first-semester sophomore, second-semester sophomore or first-semester junior), but the number of transferable courses will not be determined until the Office of the Dean of the College has access to an admitted applicant's final college transcript (typically in the summer for fall admits, or winter for spring admits) before they enroll.

What is the deadline for submitting my transfer application, and when will I find out a decision?

The application deadline for transfer admission is March 1. You will receive a decision in early May.

May I apply for a fee waiver, and if so, how?

If the transfer application fee constitutes a financial hardship we will accept a signed letter from an official at your current college as a fee waiver.  The letter should be sent to Brown’s Office of College Admission by a dean, academic advisor or financial aid officer at your current college.  The letter should be on your current college’s letterhead, it should be hand-signed by the college official and it should explain, briefly, why the application fee constitutes a financial hardship.

Am I eligible for financial aid as a transfer applicant?

We offer limited financial aid for transfer applicants and are need-aware when making decision on transfer applications. Students who feel that they may require financial assistance during their time at Brown should apply for financial aid when they make their initial application for transfer admission. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website for more information regarding financial aid at Brown.

What standardized testing do you require of transfer applicants, and what if I didn't need to take standardized testing to be admitted to my present school?

Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement with either (1) the redesigned SAT with Essay, (2) the ACT with Writing, or (3) applicants may also satisfy our testing requirement by sending the pre-March 2016 SAT. This applies to both domestic and international applicants. Only one group of applicants are permitted to apply without submitting SAT or ACT scores: American citizens or U.S. permanent residents applying from domestic community colleges, junior colleges or two-year colleges. 

Lastly, international applicants to the college who do not have U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency must also submit the results of the TOEFL or the IELTS when they apply.  

If I applied to Brown for freshman admission in the past, do I need to submit my scores again?

If you wish to use the official test scores that you submitted with a prior application, then you do not need to resend those scores.

May I submit supplementary information that you have not requested with my transfer application?

No. We will not review supplementary information that we have not requested. Supplementary application materials such as music tapes, art slides, and/or writing samples should not be submitted

What letters of recommendation should I submit?

Transfer candidates must submit two letters of recommendation from college instructors or teaching assistants. If you are planning to pursue a Sc.B. degree, it is recommended that one of these recommendations be from a science or math instructor.

What sort of school reports should I submit?

In addition to an official transcript showing courses in progress, you must submit an official transcript(s) and final grades from all previous college coursework. If necessary, an interim unofficial transcript of current work may be submitted. However, a final and official transcript will still be required before you are permitted to enroll at Brown.

We require that you have your high school mail us an official copy of your final high school transcript.  We recommend, but do not require, that transfer applicants also have their high school counselor send us a completed copy of the Common Application School Report.

Do you require a transcript or final report from my high school?

We require that your high school send us an official copy of your high school transcript.  We recommend, but do not require, a copy of your Final Report (which is typically completed by your high school counselor).

You are asking for some material that I am not able to submit, what should I do?

The Transfer Application, Instructor Evaluations, College Report, Mid-Term Report, College Transcript, Final High School Transcript and appropriate standardized testing results are all required. While we may evaluate an application with missing credentials, the most competitive applications will be from those who have submitted all required materials.

If I studied outside of the United States, do you still require a transcript and final report from my high school?

We require an official high school transcript regardless of where you attended high school, and we require that the official transcript be sent to us either by your original high school or by your current college.  We will not accept transcripts that are sent to us by an applicant directly.  We recommend that you ask your original high school to send us a Final Report as well, but it is not required.

Do you require interviews for transfer applicants?

No. Interviews are not offered for transfer applicants.

In which athletic division is Brown?

Brown is in the NCAA Division I and a member of the Ivy League intercollegiate conference. To learn more about athletics at brown, visit the Brown Bears website.

How can I learn more about financial aid at Brown?

The best source of information about Financial Aid at Brown is our Office of Financial Aid.

How many varsity sports and specifically which sports are offered at the varsity level?

Brown has the nation’s fourth largest collegiate athletic program (and first largest program for women), with 900 athletes competing on 38 varsity sports teams — 17 for men and 21 for women.  Men's sports include baseball, basketball, crew, cross country, football, fencing, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, squash, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, water polo, and wrestling. Women's sports include basketball, crew, cross country, equestrian, fencing, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey lacrosse, rugby, skiing, soccer, softball, squash, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and water polo. More information on varsity teams can be found on the Brown Bears website.

How do I visit campus?

We invite all prospective students to visit campus and learn more about Brown through our information session and campus tour programs. Tours and information sessions are intended to complement one another, and therefore contain different information for prospective students and their families. To maximize your visit, we encourage visitors to attend both, if possible.

All information sessions and campus tours begin at the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center located at 75 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes before the start of a session or tour.

Are athletes given preference in the admission process and who will decide on my application?

According to rules set by the Ivy League, the principles that govern admission of athletes to Brown are the same as for all other applicants. All applicants to Brown have the same requirements and deadlines. Brown admits all candidates including athletes on the basis of academic achievements as well as personal strengths and accomplishments. Our athletic coaches will let us know which applicants would be welcome additions to their teams, but admission decisions are made by the admission staff.

If you are being recruited for one of our varsity teams, you will probably have substantial contact with coaches as well as admission officers. Ivy League coaches are knowledgeable about admissions policies, can be valuable resources in guiding prospects through the application process, and may offer advice and counsel based on feedback from admission.  Coaches may make a commitment to support a prospective student-athlete’s application. However only the Admission Office at each Ivy League school has the authority to admit an applicant and to notify an applicant of admission. Only formal correspondence from the Admission Office should be considered an admission decision.

Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards.

Does Brown offer merit scholarships? Athletic Scholarships?

Eligibility for aid is based on financial need. Brown, as a member of the Ivy League, does not offer aid based on academic achievement, athletic ability, or any other form of merit.

Do you offer athletic scholarships?

As a member of the Ivy League, Brown does not award academic or athletic scholarships. All financial aid awarded by Brown is need-based meaning that no factors are considered except the family’s demonstrated financial need. We are committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated financial need for undergraduates.

Do I need to register for tours and information sessions?

Although it is not mandatory that you register for general campus tours and information sessions, we do highly recommend it.  Click here for more information.

How do I express my interest in competing at the varsity level?

All entering college freshman must meet the applicable NCAA initial academic eligibility requirements in order to participate in athletics at Brown University: all entering freshman must have graduated from high school, successfully completed a core curriculum, and taken a national standardized test. Your core curriculum GPA and standardized test scores will be reviewed and applied to the NCAA initial eligibility index. This will identify your initial eligibility status and determine if, and to what extent, you are able to participate in intercollegiate athletics as an entering freshman.

Please visit the NCAA Initial Eligibility Center website for a detailed presentation on the initial academic requirements for all incoming freshman wishing to participate in intercollegiate athletics.

If you meet these initial academic requirements, and would like to learn more, please review the instructions under the “Recruiting” section of the Brown Bears website.

Are there athletic opportunities for non-varsity athletes?

Absolutely.  We offer extensive recreational athletic opportunities for students including state-of-the-art athletic facilities, intramural sports, club sports, fitness programs, aquatics programs, personal training, and more. To learn more, visit the “Recreation" tab on the Brown Bears website.

What is your deadline for applying for financial aid?

All of the deadlines and forms needed are detailed by the Office of Financial Aid.

Where do I go for my tour and information session?

All information sessions and campus tours begin at the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center located at 75 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island.

How much does it cost to attend Brown University?

For the 2017 - 2018 academic year, the total of direct and indirect costs is $71,050.  Our financial aid policies are designed to enrich our campus community be insuring that students of talent and ambition who qualify for admission can come to Brown – regardless of their economic circumstances.  We are committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated financial need for all eligible undergraduates as determined by Brown’s Office of Financial Aid.

Do you offer a special tour of your science facilities?

In addition to our standard tour, we offer a Physical Sciences tour designed for prospective students who are interested in studying the physical sciences (Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Math, Applied Math and Geology). This tour does not cover the life sciences (Biology, Cognitive Science or Neuroscience).

If you would like to attend a Physical Sciences Tour, registration is required.

Are you need-blind for international applicants?

No. We do not offer need-blind admission for international applicants.  International students must apply for financial aid at the time they apply for admission to the University in order to be considered for financial aid during any of their time at Brown.  If you are admitted, however, as a international applicant and you applied for financial aid, you will receive financial assistance to meet 100% of your family's demonstrated need.  Visit the Office of Financial Aid website for details.

Are you need-blind for U.S. citizens and permanent residents?

Yes. We practice need-blind admissions for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Visit the Office of Financial Aid website for more information.

Do you accept applications from undocumented students?

Yes.  We accept applications from undocumented students.

Do you offer private group tours?

Groups are welcome, but we do not offer private tours. Please visit our general campus tour and information session webpage for more information and a full schedule.

May I visit classes?

Yes, from October through April, only. During this time, there is a list of available classes.  We strongly encourage you to show up at least ten (10) minutes before the start of class and to let the professor know that you will be sitting in on that class.

Does the amount of aid I will receive vary if I apply Early Decision or if I apply regular decision?

No. The evaluation used to determine your need based eligibility for financial aid is the same, regardless of whether you apply under Early Decision or Regular Decision admission plans.

If I don’t apply for financial aid now, but my family’s financial situation changes, may I apply for financial aid after I enroll at Brown?

If you are an international applicant and have reason to believe you may need financial assistance at any point during your time at Brown, you must apply for financial aid at the time of application for admission, and meet all required financial aid deadlines.  

If you are an international applicant  (a non-U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident) who does not receive financial aid at the time of admission you will not be considered for aid at a later date. International applicants must apply for financial aid at the time of application for admission and meet all required financial aid deadlines, if you have reason to believe they will need assistance at any point during their time at Brown.

US Citizens/Permanent who did not apply for financial aid at the time of admission who have a change in circumstances can apply for aid in later years.  It is important to meet published application deadlines for the year the student will be applying for aid.  Visit the Office of Financial Aid website for details.  

What is Brown's policy on admitting undocumented students?

Beginning with the class entering in fall 2017, Brown University will consider first-time, first-year undergraduate applicants who hold undocumented or DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status and graduate from a U.S. high school as if they were U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Is there a way that I can visit campus for a whole day?

Experience Brown day visits aim to provide prospective students with the opportunity to get a sense of what it is like to be a student at Brown University by allowing them structured access to classes and one-on-one, non-evaluative contact with a current student. Opportunties for Experience Brown for the spring will be held in February and March. There are no available dates in April or May due to Admitted Student Events and University finals period, respectively. Registration is now available click here.

Where can I park when I visit Brown?

Street Parking: Visitors may find metered street parking on the streets in and around campus, which costs 25 cents for every 12 minutes. Please pay close attention to signs that are marked for Brown-specific spaces -- these are reserved for Brown employees only.  Please do not park in these spaces.   Cars parked in these spaces without Brown University parking permits may be towed at the owner's expense.  For additional parking and direction information please click here.

Please note: A number of construction projects are underway throughout Providence that may disrupt traffic and parking. Campus visitors are encouraged to plan ahead and arrive early. 

I would like to arrange for a group to visit, can you help me plan?

Groups are welcome to visit our campus, but Brown does not offer special group tours. Please contact the information desk at the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center as far in advance as you are able to notify that your group will be visiting.

Can you arrange for me to stay with a student over-night?

Unfortunately, no. Other than for a few programs that we run for students who have already been admitted to Brown, we are not able to accommodate you or help you arrange an overnight stay.

Will Brown pay for my visit to campus if my family cannot afford this expense?

Unfortunately, Brown is not able to pay for students to visit campus.  Given that we have applicants from all 50 states and over 140 nations, many students will apply to Brown without ever having visited our campus.  We encourage you to learn as much as possible from our website and from asking any follow-up questions of us or of current students.

May I speak with and Admission Officer or interview while I am on campus?

You will be able to speak with the admission officer who will be conducting your information session and who will be on duty the day that you visit campus. All of our interviews are conducted by our alumni/ae volunteers: once you have applied you will be contacted.

Where can I get a map of campus?

A campus map is available online and at the Stephen Robert '62 Campus Center located at 75 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island. Self guided tour maps are also available online and at the Campus Center.

I can’t visit campus; will an admission representative be visiting my area sometime soon?

Through Brown Near You, our admission team reaches out to prospective students around the country and throughout the world. 

What is Brown's financial aid policy regarding undocumented students?

Like first-time, first-year domestic students, undocumented and DACA applicants will be considered under the University's need-blind admission policy.  Brown will meet 100 percent of each student's demonstrated financial need upon matriculation.

What is Brown's admission policy for students whose parents are undocumented?

US Citizens and Permanent Residents whose parents are undocumented are eligible for financial aid consideration. The student’s financial aid award will be based on parents’ documented income and assets. 

How do I apply as a freshman?

How do I apply as a freshman?

Every year Brown welcomes students from around the world. In fact, about fifteen percent of our students come from abroad. We encourage you to review the information on our website that is unique to international applicants.

All applicants to Brown complete the Common Application. Although the forms are geared toward the U.S. secondary school system, they may be used to convey the specifics of any nation's educational system.

Documents or information that will be part of your application file should be written in English or be accompanied by official translations along with original documents in the original language.

Students who are attending schools outside of the United States must complete and submit the Secondary School Report form, which can be downloaded from the Common Application website.

Is the admission process the same for international applicants?

International applicants adhere to the same requirements, standards, and deadlines as all students. 

Is the admission process different for home-schooled applicants?

Our evaluation process is the same for all first-year applicants, but home-schooled applicants may have to present some of the required documents in a different format than what would be provided by traditional schools.

Are interviews offered outside the U.S.?

Yes. We have alumni/ae volunteers all over the world. But because we cannot guarantee that volunteer interviewers will be available in every location, students who are not scheduled for an interview are not at any disadvantage in the admission process.

Will Brown accept letters of reference in languages other than English?

If one of your teachers is more comfortable writing to us in his or her native language, please arrange to have another person (preferably a school official) send a written English translation along with the original letter.

Who should complete my Secondary School Report and Teacher Evaluation forms?

The Secondary School Report form should be completed by the persons most responsible for guiding your overall learning. In addition, we would be interested to know why you and your family opted to pursue home schooling rather than a more traditional public or private school education. We would also be curious about the resources used to craft the home-schooling curriculum and about the degree of liberty you have had in guiding your own education.

We would prefer to see letters of recommendation from instructors who have taught you in a traditional classroom setting and who can speak to your abilities and potential in an objective way. For these reasons we would prefer not to receive letters of recommendation from your parents, immediate relatives, or from academic tutors in the paid employ of your family. If all of your instructors fall into one of these three groups, then we will accept letters of recommendation from any of them.

How does Brown evaluate non-U.S. credentials?

We are familiar with many of the academic credentials, exams, and educational systems around the world and will research any unfamiliar systems to increase our understanding. While certain credentials may be quite different from those commonly used in the United States, we still seek students who present evidence of academic ability and a genuine interest in learning. While we tend to admit students who have achieved at the highest levels in their own systems of education, we focus on the whole person and look well beyond the numerical results achieved in examinations and exam predictions.

What is your financial aid policy for international applicants?

Brown meets full demonstrated need of all admitted students who have applied for financial aid.  However, the total amount of funds set aside for foreign citizens as a group, is limited.  Therefore, we are not need-blind when we review applications from international applicants.

If you wish to be considered for financial aid at any time during your four years at Brown, you should apply at the time of your initial application to the College.  Awards are not given in cash, but as credits toward the cost of tuition, fees, room, and board. Financial aid covers books and some personal expenses, but does not cover vacation and summer expenses.

Can tests be waived?

No. If taking our required tests is impossible or presents a significant hardship, however, we will evaluate an application without the tests.

Do you require TOEFL? Are there any options for satisfying your English proficiency requirement other than the TOEFL?

We highly recommend that international applicants or students whose first language is not English take the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL), or the IELTS, and arrange for Brown to receive the official results. A TOEFL score of 600 or above on the written exam, or 100 or above on the internet-based exam, or IELTS composite of at least 8, is expected in most cases.

Does the TOEFL replace the SAT?

No. The tests have very different purposes.

What should I submit if I do not have a traditional high school transcript?

We need a detailed accounting of the entire curriculum you have undertaken during the last four years. Please list all subjects covered as well as the books and/or other learning resources you used. If you have taken courses at a local college, high school, or through a distance education program, then you should submit official transcripts from those sources to supplement your self-designed transcript.

Must I take the SAT if I have taken or will take other examinations in my own country?

Yes. The results of the SAT or ACT give us a consistent measurement for all candidates. While most international exams measure knowledge gained during a specific course of study, the SAT or ACT indicates a student's accumulated general knowledge and overall thinking ability in certain broad subject areas.

How would Brown view an SAT Subject Test in my native language?

We place no specific requirements on your choice of Subject Tests, but you would be wise to take tests that will display your strength in other areas. The SAT Subject Tests in languages are designed to test a student's abilities in a foreign language. For you to do well in the Subject Test in your native language would not provide us with helpful information.

Can advanced standing be awarded to students based on certain international exam results or higher level study as a secondary school student?

Brown does not grant course credit based on international examination scores or advanced coursework completed prior to enrollment. However, strong exam results or advanced coursework may allow students to forego certain course prerequisites and progress more quickly to upper level Brown offerings.

My final grades are exam results that will not be available until the end of my secondary school studies. How does that affect my application to Brown?

When final examination results are not available until after our admission decisions are made (e.g., British A-Levels), we rely on the predicted results as provided by your school officials and on any other academic credentials that are already available. We trust that your actual examination results will reasonably match the predicted outcomes, and review the final results with care. We must reserve the right to rescind an offer of admission in the event that actual results do not meet the predictions.

Do you require applicants to have a high school diploma?

Brown requires proof of completion of high school (secondary school) or its equivalent at the time of entrance.  Brown first-year students will have completed 12 years of primary and secondary schooling. You should plan to sit for national examinations, such as the GCE A-levels, German Abitur, French Baccalauréat, and submit the predicted scores for those examinations as part of your credentials for admission to Brown.

Students who have completed 13 years of schooling and who have completed their external national examinations for college-level work with exceptional results may be eligible for some advanced standing or transfer credit at Brown once they become sophomores. International certifications most commonly earned by our students include the International Baccalaureate diploma or A-levels; other national "13th-year" certification programs, however, may be considered on a case-by-case basis. It should be noted that neither course credit nor enrollment credit is granted for AS or O-level exams.

What other information should I provide?

In addition to the testing and recommendation requirements common to all applicants, you may submit the results of AP tests and one additional letter of recommendation from someone other than your parents, your immediate relatives, or a tutor in the paid employ of your family.

What level of English proficiency is required for admission?

We expect the following of all international students who are offered admission to Brown’s undergraduate college:

  1. The student should be able to understand rapid, idiomatic American English as spoken in the classroom.

  2. The student should be able to express thoughts quickly and clearly in both spoken and written English.

  3. The student should be able to read the English language with ease.

English language proficiency must be achieved before you are admitted. Brown does not offer courses in English as a Second Language for its undergraduates and does not offer provisional acceptances to students who are deficient in English.

Are there quotas for International applicants?

There are no quotas of any kind for any of our applicants.  We value the presence of international students in the Brown community.  We do not set targets or limits, but instead respond to the number of qualified applicants we receive in a given year.

What is the Advancing Africa Scholarship?

All students who are citizens of a sub-Saharan African country who apply for financial aid are automatically considered for the Advancing Africa Scholarship.  This scholarship provides additional benefits for the selected candidate. For more information please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Will Brown Accept November test scores if I am applying Early Decision?

Early Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the October test date and arrange for results to be sent directly to Brown on or before the November 1 Early Decision deadline. You may also submit additional test scores from the November administration of the SAT; however, we cannot guarantee that these test scores will be received in time to be reviewed with your application.  All applicants should have a complete set of test scores sent to Brown prior to the November 1 deadline.

What are the possible Early Decision outcomes?

We do admit a portion of our Early Decision applicants, which means that their college application process is over. For other early applicants, we defer the final decision until spring and then reconsider them along with the Regular Decision candidates. We also turn down Early Decision applicants who, based on our experience, are clearly less academically strong than the overall pool of applicants to Brown.

Is it possible to defer enrollment after I have been admitted to Brown?

You may request a deferral in writing. Deferrals for one year are almost always granted, provided you do not intend to enroll in a degree program at another college. Students admitted from our waiting list are not eligible for deferral.

What does a "deferral" to the Regular Decision process really mean?

Students whose Early Decision applications are deferred are well-qualified for study at Brown. A deferral should not be seen as an indication of shortcomings. Deferred applicants will be considered anew among the Regular Decision applicants. Our goal is to admit the most capable and diverse group of students with respect to their interests, backgrounds, and potential to contribute to the Brown community and beyond.

I'm thinking of taking a "gap" year. When should I apply and when should I let you know of my intentions?

We have found that students often benefit from taking time between high school and college. Some students will choose not to apply to college during their senior year, to take time off, and then apply during the gap year. Others will choose to apply during their senior year, and ask permission to take a gap after they are admitted. If you choose the latter option, you will wait until after you have accepted Brown's offer of admission to request, in writing, permission to defer your admission for one year. After admission, please direct those inquiries to

What if I am admitted Early Decision, but the financial package is insufficient?

You and your family should make use of our Financial Aid Calculator before you apply Early Decision. Brown’s Financial Aid Calculator is designed to assist prospective undergraduate students and their parents in estimating a family contribution and need-based award if the student were to attend Brown.

If your financial aid package is insufficient, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid directly to ensure that your application was not missing any information which might have affected your package. The Office of Financial Aid will work with you to re-evaluate your package. If the package, after reconsideration, is truly unaffordable for your family, then you will be permitted to withdraw from your obligation to Brown.

Are my chances for admission increased if I apply Early Decision?

Our pool of early applicants tends to include a very high proportion of exceptionally talented students and a higher rate of admission for Early Decision applicants reflects that phenomenon. It does not imply an automatic advantage for all early candidates. We admit Early Decision applicants only when we are confident that we would offer them admission as a Regular Decision applicant.

If I apply and am admitted using the Early Decision option, am I committed to attending Brown?

Yes. You should carefully consider your choices before applying for Early Decision.

May I take a gap year(s) for mandatory military service?

Brown will allow students fulfilling mandatory military service in their home country to defer enrollment once we have granted admission.  Students must make this request in writing, as with any request for deferred admission.

If I apply Early Decision to Brown, may I also apply to other colleges?

Early Decision is intended for students who consider Brown their top choice. The program allows first-year applicants to apply for admission to Brown in the fall of their senior year and receive an admission decision in mid-December. Applicants and their families should be aware that admission via our Early Decision program is a binding agreement to attend Brown.

Applicants pursuing admission under Brown's Early Decision program may not submit an application to another Early Decision plan. Students admitted under Early Decision are expected to enroll at Brown and to withdraw all pending applications.

What if another college offers me admission and requires a commitment before I have heard from Brown?

You should contact our office if you are presented with an unusual dilemma, but colleges are almost always willing to allow students the opportunity to receive notification from other schools before requiring a commitment.

Our Early Decision notification occurs by mid-December and Regular Decision applicants are notified on or near April 1st. We are not able to give advance decisions, because we are fully engaged in piecing together an entire group of admitted students rather than merely determining whether to admit an individual applicant.

May I submit additional or updated information if I am deferred?

You may certainly let us know if there is a significant accomplishment or a noteworthy change in your circumstances, but it is not necessary to amend your application as a matter of course. Remember that a deferral does not mean that an applicant has fallen short in terms of qualification for admission. Make sure that your counselor has the Mid-Year Report form so we can receive your fall term grades and any updates your school would like to provide.

What is the Open Curriculum?

Like many institutions dedicated to the liberal arts, Brown encourages its undergraduates to study broadly, to become self-reflective, to engage in community life and to rigorously develop their communication skills.  Unlike other American colleges and universities, Brown has no required core curriculum or distribution requirements that students must complete in order to graduate.  Students at Brown have unparalleled freedom to shape their own education and to make their college curricula a more thorough reflection of their own interests and aspirations.

Brown’s Open Curriculum is based on three principles. The first is that students ought to take an active role in their education by assuming responsibility for the direction of their learning. Secondly, an undergraduate education is seen as a process of individual and intellectual development, rather than simply a way to transmit a set body of information. Finally, the curriculum should encourage individuality, experimentation, and the integration and synthesis of different disciplines.

The only specific curricular requirements at Brown are that all students must successfully complete at least 30 courses in eight semesters, that every undergraduate must complete at least one concentration program (often called a “major” at other colleges), and that students must be able to demonstrate excellent skill in written English before they graduate.


Where is Brown University located?

Brown is located in historic Providence, Rhode Island.  Providence is the capital and most populous city of the state of Rhode Island.  By train or car, we are about 1 hour south of Boston, MA and about 3 hours north of New York, NY.

How big is the student population at Brown University?

Brown's vibrant, diverse community consists of 6,580 undergraduates, 2,255 graduate students and 545 medical students.

Where can I learn more about Brown's admission statistics?

You can find the admission statistics for the Class of 2020 on our website.

How do I add my name to your contact list?

We ask you to sign yourself up for our contact list.  

What concentrations (majors) are offered at Brown?

There are 82 concentrations offered at Brown. Focal Point is a section of our website that will allow you to explore the many intellectual paths you can take at Brown.

Can I double concentrate?

Yes, you may double concentrate. Students at Brown are allowed to double concentrate if they are able to complete all requirements for both concentrations in the standard eight-semester sequence of study. 

Do you offer minors?

Brown University does not offer the option of pursuing a minor.

How many undergraduate courses are offered?

Brown offers over 1,800 undergraduate courses. The 2017-2018 Course Announcement Bulletin can be found on line.

Will I be guaranteed housing for all four years while I am at Brown?

Yes, housing is guaranteed for all four years that you are at Brown.

All first-year students live in residential "units," which are comprised of 40-60 first-year students and 3-4 peer counselors. The first-year units are staffed by Resident Counselors (RCs), Minority Peer Counselors (MPCs), and Women Peer Counselors (WPCs) who work together to build community within their units and to provide their residents with information about campus resources and opportunities for dialogue around academic, wellness, and diversity topics.

All students are required to live on-campus for their first six semesters, with the exception of Resumed Undergraduate Education students. For more information about Residential Life at Brown, please visit their website.

Do you have a pre-law concentration? Pre-med? Pre-business?

Brown does not specifically offer pre-law, pre-med or pre-business concentrations; however, many of our students do go on to successful careers in law, medicine or business. More information about pre-professional advising and life after Brown can be found through the Dean of the College Office and through Brown CareerLAB.

Which languages does Brown offer?

Brown currently offers instruction in at least 25 ancient and modern languages administered through the Center for Language Studies.

Does Brown have a non-discrimination policy?

Brown University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or other school-administered programs.

What kinds of courses should I take to best prepare for Brown?

For many years, the fundamental curriculum for college-bound students includes the following coursework:

English - 4 years; Math - at least 3 years, preferably 4 years; Science - at least 3 years, including 2 years of lab science; Social Studies - at least 2 years of history, including American history; and Foreign Language - at least 3 years, preferably 4 years of a single language.

While there are no specific course requirements for admission to Brown, you should take all of the fundamental courses that are essential preparation for university-level studies. Ideally, Brown undergraduates will have studied a foreign language for four years (or the equivalent). Studies will have included biology, physics, and chemistry, and a higher level math. Applicants planning to concentrate in science, math, or engineering will certainly benefit from more advanced courses in their area of interest.

Students who stretch themselves in one or more academic areas will stand out among applicants who choose a less demanding route. We are looking for students who are exceptionally eager to learn and willing to accept academic challenges. Brown also encourages the study of music and art.

How important are my senior year courses and grades in the admission process?

Your senior year is one-quarter of your high school career and often includes some of the most substantial college preparatory coursework. Therefore, your senior year curriculum and performance are important indicators of your potential as a Brown student. Applicants who take a lighter course load or who show signs of under performing academically are often passed over in favor of those who continue to excel during their senior year. Even admitted students should take care not to catch "senioritis." We review all the grades for both Early Decision and Regular Decision admitted students to make sure they are continuing to perform up to our high standards.

Is it better for me to take an Advanced Placement course and get a B, or should I take the Honors course and get the A?

We would always prefer to see that a student has opted for the more rigorous approach to their high school education.  In most high schools this means pursuing the AP or IB version of a course rather than seemingly less-challenging Honors or College Prep option.

Will I get credit for the Advanced Placement courses I took in high school?

At Brown, a number of academic departments recognize Advanced Placement (AP) examinations either for placement into an advanced course, and/or satisfaction of a concentration requirement, and/or for credit toward advanced standing. The particular scores required are determined by individual academic departments. The Dean of the College is a good source for additional information about Brown’s AP placement policies.

Does Brown award credits toward graduation based on Advanced Placement exams or for courses completed at another college?

Any work you have done beyond your high school curriculum is valued as we consider your candidacy, but Brown does not grant course credit based on exam scores or college credits earned before enrolling as an undergraduate. However, strong AP exam results or advanced coursework may allow students to forego certain course prerequisites and progress more quickly to upper level Brown offerings.

Does Brown favor Advanced Placement courses over International Baccalaureate courses or vice versa?

No. We are content to see that our applicants have taken whatever challenging courses are available to them. We do not have a preference for one curricular model over another.

Will I get credit for the IB/A-level exams that I took in high school?

Students matriculate at Brown having completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum, A-level Exams and many other international degree programs. The Dean of the College Office maintains Brown’s policy as to granting credit for these courses. Summarily, at Brown, international diploma or certificate exam scores can serve three main purposes: to place into higher level courses, to obtain course credit (which is not identical to concentration credit), or to qualify for advanced standing in order to graduate in fewer than eight semesters.

Are interviews with admission officers offered on campus or in my area?

No. Unfortunately, our admission officers are not able to conduct individual interviews on campus or elsewhere due to the large number of potential candidates. We are happy, though, to answer questions from visitors and callers. We also provide group information sessions and tours to students and their families who come to the campus.

How do I sign up for an interview?

All of our interviews are conducted by a team of alumni volunteers. After you have submitted your Common Application to Brown, your name will be forwarded to our volunteers. One of them will contact you directly to set up the interview. Early Decision interviews will be completed by early-December and Regular Decision interviews will be completed by mid-February.

How important are the alumni/ae interviews?

The conversation you will have with a graduate of the University is just one aspect of your Brown application. Our alumni/ae write to us about the strengths they see in candidates based on one relatively brief encounter. Rarely will an interview be the determining factor in an application. We suggest that you view it as an opportunity to learn more about Brown and to further convey your best qualities as a student and person.

Please limit your submission to 500 words.