Travel Arrangements

Car Rental/Mileage

Brown only allows the use of Enterprise for car rentals. Please come by the SAO to speak with someone BEFORE you try to rent a car. You must be 21 years in age. If you are under 25, Brown requires that you purchase the supplemental insurance offered by Enterprise . As long as adequate funding exists in your account, you can request reimbursement for the rental fee, tolls, and gasoline.

While there is no reimbursement available for a Zipcar membership, Zipcar usage for student organization business may be reimbursed. You may also use the SAO's business account to bill your organization account directly. Stop by the SAO for details.

If you will be driving a personal car, please note that reimbursement is based on a strict mileage reimbursement. No individual receipts (gas, tolls, etc.) will be reimbursed. You need to come in to the SAO BEFORE your trip to fill out a Request for Mileage Reimbursement Form. You must bring your valid driver's license with you. After the trip, the number of miles is recorded and you will be reimbursed $.57/mile (as of January 1, 2015). WE DO NOT REIMBURSE FOR GAS OR TOLLS, ONLY MILEAGE! Please, one reimbursement per vehicle per trip. If you feel that individual people need to be reimbursed, please work that out amongst yourselves.

The Office of Insurance and Risk has put together pamphlet that may be helpful prior to renting a car and for keeping handy during the rental period.

Bus Rentals

Generally, bus rentals involve a contract; however, if you are working with a commonly used companies, the process may be expedited. Also, proof of liability insurance must also be on file, so using a company with whom we already have a relationship can expedite the process in this way as well. 

If you are planning a trip, the SAO provides a Bus Trip Checklist. 

The SAO can help to connect you with options for bus companies and both school bus and motor coach buses are available.