The Student Activities Office assists student organizations with on- and off-campus event planning, travel, budgeting, contracts, and more. Our staff can help you to navigate University processes to book space, order furniture, catering, or media services, or contract speakers. In these pages, you will find information on these processes as well as many resources to help you succeed.
The Student Activities Office supports the initiatives of 500+ active, recognized student organizations.
Student Group Types
- A Cappella
- Academic & Professional
- Campus Services & Events
- Comedy & Improv
- Cultural & Ethnic
- Dance & Acrobatics
- Departmental & Departmental Undergraduate Group (DUG)
- Gender & Sexuality
- Graduate Student Organization
- Greek Organizations
- Music, Rhythm & Song
- News & Publication
- Program Houses
- Radio & Film
- Recreational & Appreciation
- Religious & Spiritual Life
- Social Action
- Student Governance
- Theater & Drama
Other Student Groups
The Student Activities Office works in a limited capacity with the following:
- Club and Intramural Sports (see Brown Recreation)
- Departmental Organizations (see corresponding academic department(s))
- Departmental Undergraduate Groups (DUGs) (see The Curricular Resource Center)
- Graduate Student Organizations (see Graduate Student Council)
- Alpert Medical School Student Groups (see Medical Student Senate)
- Service Organizations (see Swearer Center)
The following organizations are currently derecognized by Brown University, the Undergraduate Council of Students (UCS),or any Greek Council on campus. If you have any questions regarding an organization's status, please contact the Student Activities Office at 401-863-2341.
Participation in Derecognized Student Groups
It is a violation of University policy for students to knowingly affiliate with groups, teams, or organizations that have had their University recognition suspended or permanently revoked by the University for disciplinary reasons. The definition of affiliation includes joining, rushing, pledging or being involved in any activity that would normally be associated with being a member of such an organization. This applies to organizations that were created by members of a derecognized organization in an attempt to continue its presence on campus.
This prohibited conduct does not apply to unrecognized student groups who have never had University recognition or who are currently not recognized by the University because of non-disciplinary disbandment. However, known members of unrecognized student groups may be held accountable for any prohibited conduct by these groups.
For more information please read the Brown University Code of Student Conduct.
Derecognized Student Organizations
- International House (Buxton) - derecognized in 2019
- Phi Kappa Psi, RI Alpha Chapter - derecognized in 2015
- Sigma Chi, Beta Nu chapter - derecognized in 2019