Health Services - Return to Campus

Health Services - RETURN TO CAMPUS

COVID FAQ's for students - updated 8/23/21

What if I tested Positive for COVID prior to my arrival to campus?
  • Please do not travel during your designated isolation period.  
  • Please forward a record of your positive test result to [email protected] so this can be added to your medical record. 
  • You will be paused in the University’s Verily COVID testing system for 90 days from your positive test date in alignment with current clinical guidelines. This will prevent receiving false positive test results
  • After that time period, you will be automatically re-enrolled into the Verily testing/tracking system if applicable.  
  • Please call Health Services should you have any recurrence of symptoms or new illness, particularly during your pause from routine COVID testing. 
How do I send documentation of my COVID Vaccine to Health Services?
  • Please visit: Select Immunizations --> Enter Dates and scroll down to enter the date of your COVID vaccine. Please select either Moderna, Pfizer, or Janssen. Click submit. Select Upload --> Choose Document You are Uploading --> Immunization Records Other to submit your vaccine verification card or other vaccine documentation. Please follow these instructions to upload documentation after you receive your second dose as well. 
Should I upload my negative COVID-19 test result?
  • No. Please do not upload a negative COVID-19 test result. If you have a recent test, feel free to keep a copy of it for your records or upcoming travel but there is no need to upload it. 
Does Health Services conduct COVID testing prior to travel?
  • Health Services does not conduct asymptomatic testing or antibody testing for COVID at this time. 
  • If you are enrolled in the Verily testing system, you will be sent an official lab result for each test completed which can be used for travel. 
  • If you are not enrolled in the University’s routine testing program, you may schedule a test through the RI Department of Health’s testing program at or by calling 401-222-8022.
  • Information about antibody testing can also be found at the RI Department of Health’s website.  
When can I receive the COVID vaccine?
  • The state of RI is rolling out the administration of the COVID vaccine in a phased approach, starting with the populations at most risk for developing COVID. Once the vaccine is available to the campus population, information will be provided to the Brown Community.
If I receive the vaccine outside of Rhode Island, can I receive the second dose at Brown or in Rhode Island?
  • Per the RI Department of Health you will need to receive both doses of the vaccine in the same state. This is because the second dose will be shipped automatically to the healthcare provider or location that provided the first dose. 
How is Brown monitoring the campus for COVID?
  • Brown has arranged to test all students, faculty, and staff for COVID upon return to campus in coordination with a nationally based expert testing service.
  • Brown's contracted testing service will conduct routine testing of students, staff and faculty to check for presence of COVID on campus across the semesters.
  • Learn more on the Healthy Brown website outlining health protocols during the pandemic.
What is Brown Health Service's role in responding to COVID on campus?
  • Health Services' role in the University COVID response prioritizes student health and wellbeing.
  • Health Services is in regular contact with the RI Department of Health (RIDOH) and following all of their guidelines and recommendations for COVID-19 response.
  • Health Services has the capacity to test students for COVID individually when they have symptoms that may suggest coronavirus illness.
Does Health Services provide non-COVID related care?
  • Health Services continues to provide routine and primary care by appointment at 450 Brook St as well as telehealth visits.
  • Students should plan to continue to use Health Services for health-related needs when they arise.
  • Infection prevention measures have been put in place to ensure the safety of students and staff.
What should I do if I am not feeling well?
  • Do your best to self-isolate.
  • Call Health Services at 401-863-3953 to ask for the guidance of a health professional. Health care providers are on call 24/7 to answer urgent questions during off-hours when Health Services is closed.
  • Call 863-4111 if you feel that there is an emergency that needs immediate response.
What if I am diagnosed with COVID?
  • Brown Health Services providers and nurses follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and RIDOH guidelines for managing students with COVID.
  • You will be asked to "isolate" yourself from others as you are infectious and can potentially transmit COVID to others.
    • Specific on-campus housing has been designated for students to stay in while they are considered contagious to prevent spreading the virus. Health Services, Brown EMS, Dining Services, Student Support Services, Facilities and Residential Life have partnered to ensure students are supported while living in this housing.
    • Off-campus: You will be advised to isolate yourself as much as possible from roommates and others. Health Services can assist in navigating this. Information can be found here with regard to steps you can take when you are sick:
  • Students are required to complete a symptoms monitoring form daily during their infectious period. This form will be reviewed by a Healthcare Professional. You are encouraged to call or email [email protected] with any questions or concerns while in isolation. 
  • Isolation will last a minimum of 10 days from the onset of your symptoms.
  • You will be asked to have minimal contact with all others, and avoid classroom, extracurricular, and social activities until you have been cleared to return.
  • Health Services will determine when isolation can conclude.
What if I am told that I have had "close contact" with someone who has COVID?
  • You will be asked to "quarantine" yourself and maintain a physical distance of 6ft from others. The purpose is to prevent others from getting sick in the event that you become contagious before you even know that you have COVID.
    • On-campus: Specific housing has been dedicated for students to stay when they have been advised to quarantine. Health Services, Brown EMS, Dining Services, Student Support Services, Facilities and Residential Life have partnered to ensure students are supported while living in this housing.
    • Off-campus: You will be advised to isolate yourself as much as possible from roommates and others. Health Services can assist in navigating this, and information can be found at
  • You will be required to quarantine for at least 14 days from your date of exposure to the positive case. A Healthcare professional from Health Services will be in touch with you to determine your dates of quarantine.
  • There is the potential for you to spread COVID in the 2-3 days before you become aware you are sick.
  • While in quarantine, you will be given specific instructions for testing through the Health Services Annex Clinic.
  • If you develop symptoms of COVID while in quarantine, please call Health Services at 401-863-3953 to speak with a Healthcare professional. 
What is considered "close contact" with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID?
  • The CDC describes close contact requiring quarantine as contact that includes:
  • A COVID positive patient sneezing or coughing directly into your face.
  • Physical distance within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes in a 24 hour period, with or without a mask, within the 2 days before the person developed symptoms or tested positive for COVID.
  • There may be circumstances where a clinician may determine that your contact was considered "higher risk" and may suggest quarantine even if you were not within six feet for more than 15 minutes. This is not a hard and fast rule.
What happens if I am coming to Brown from out of state or from an international country?
  • Regulations about travel to Rhode Island from other states or countries change frequently and are dependent upon the prevalence and spread of COVID in each geographic area. Please review the University's current travel policies.
Can I be tested to avoid quarantine?
  • No. After an exposure, you are at risk to develop COVID at any time within the 14 day period following exposure. 
  • According to CDC and RIDOH, if you are identified as a "close contact" of someone diagnosed with COVID, obtaining a negative test result does not change the need to quarantine.
  • A COVID test cannot determine whether you may be harboring very low levels of the virus, and thus may become sick over time.
Do I need to get tested or go into quarantine myself if I have had close contact with someone else that has been quarantined?

No. You do not have to be quarantined if you are the "contact of a contact". In other words you only need to be separated from others if you have COVID, or if you have had direct contact with someone else who has been diagnosed with COVID.

What do I do about classes and meals if I am in quarantine or isolation?
  • A Health and Wellness personnel will communicate with when it is determined that you need to isolate or quarantine. You will be given information regarding our temporary resource management (TRM) program, which is our campus tool for managing your needs while in quarantine or isolation.
  • If on campus, you will be provided with meals on a daily basis.
  • Medications can be delivered to your door from the Brown University Pharmacy if necessary.
  • The Student Support Services Dean's Office will be in communication with you regarding academic concerns or needs.
Will my parents, family members, or emergency contacts be informed of my health status?
  • Your health records and health status at Health Services are strictly confidential. This confidentiality is based both in law, and aligns with our philosophy to ensure that all students can access health care about any topic without fear of repercussions (confidentiality is not maintained if the life of the student or others may be at risk).
  • Any student may grant permission for health staff to speak with others by providing written permission.
  • Health Services may communicate directly with family members or identified emergency contacts without written consent if the student is in a critical or emergency situation and unable to provide consent.
How do I arrange a visit or testing with Health Services?
  • Health Services DOES NOT PERMIT "walk-in" visits at this time. This is necessary to assure the health and safety of all students receiving care in the building as well as all health providers. Please call Health Services at 401-863-3953 for any questions about your symptoms or health concerns to discuss management and to arrange an appointment (which may be in person or via telehealth).
Still have questions?
  • Feel free to call Health Services during routine business hours (available on our home page) at 401-863-3953 for any questions or concerns relating to COVID and your health in general. 

Content Updated 8/23/21