Executive Chef Dave Chabot instructs on the art of a creating your own culinary delight each month.
Pineapple, Orange & Banana Muffins w/ Orange Glaze
Yield 12 muffins
Ingredients for the muffins:
• ½ cup butter, softened
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 large egg
• 2 cups flour
• ½ teaspoon soda
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup milk
• ½ cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 medium banana, diced (not green, but not overly ripe, like you would use in banana bread)
• ½ cup diced fresh pineapple
• ½ cup diced, canned mandarine oranges
• ¼ cup shredded coconut
• Ingredients for the topping:
• ⅓ cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ cup flour
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Place diced pineapple and diced mandarin oranges on several thicknesses of paper towels and spread out to allow to drain. If paper towel becomes saturated replace with dry toweling until most of the moisture is drained.
2. Grease 12 muffin pan cups. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Beat butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well. Combine milk and sour cream and vanilla, set aside.
4. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk mixture beating just until combined. Gently fold in bananas, pineapple and oranges and coconut.
5. Divide mixture evenly into greased muffin cups. Cups will be quite full.
6. For the topping, combine sugar, flour orange zest and cinnamon. Add butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffins.
7. Place muffins in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 350˚F. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and springy when gently touched on the top. ATTENTION: this is where you perform the magic trick if the tops of your muffins have spread out over the top edges of the the pan and form “muffin tops”. Working quickly with a small plastic scraper or a blunt table knife, go around the edge of each muffin and gently push the unruly tops back into the pan. This has to be done while the muffins are hot or they will start to “set” and they will not budge. If they begin to cool before you’re finished, return muffins to oven for 1-2 minutes and then finish your job for perfect rounded muffin tops.
8. Cool for 10 minutes in pan.
9. While muffins are cooling, prepare glaze by mixing powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.
10. Remove muffins from pan with a table knife and drizzle with glaze. ENJOY!