The field of Cognitive Science uses scientific methods of experimentation, computational modeling, and brain imaging to study mental abilities such as perception, action, memory, cognition, speech, and language, as well as the development and evolution of those processes. Students must become knowledgeable in four areas of emphasis: perception, cognition, language, and cognitive neuroscience, as well as a set of methods relevant to Cognitive Science research. Students then create their own focus area of study, potentially integrating coursework from the Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences department with a diverse subset of fields including Computer Science, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Anthropology, Applied Math and Education.The A.B. program is primarily for students interested in studying human mental processes and acquiring a research orientation to the study of the mind. The Sc.B. program is designed for students who wish to develop a stronger background in Cognitive Science and requires students to engage in a specific research project in the focus area of their choosing. We recommend that prospective concentrators register for one of the gateway courses and at least one other core course in their first or second year.
Here's what concentrators from the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, reported they were doing in their first year after graduation.
- Associate Product Manager, IBM
- Consultant, Oliver Wyman
- Design intern, Pentagram
- Legislative Aide, U.S. Senate
- Software Engineer, Google
- Brown University, BSHS, Behavioral and Social Health Sciences
- Cornell University, PhD, Developmental Psychology
- 2015 Corps Member, Teach For America
- Intern, The Center for Sexual Health and Pleasure
- Marketing Administrator, Icon Interiors, Inc.
- Online Product Marketing Associate, Brilliant Earth
- Solutions Sales Engineer, ICONICS, Inc.
- Brown University, MS, Social Psychology
- MGH Institute of Health Professions, MS, Speech-language Pathology
- 1st and 2nd Grade Teacher - Intelligently Gifted Children, Foynman School
- Research Associate, Brown University - Neuroscience Dept.
- Software Engineer, Google, Inc.
- CUNY City College of New York - Math for America, MAT, Secondary Math Education
- Associate Web Developer, LinkedIn
- Copywriter/Graphic Designer, The Mae Fah Luang Foundation
- Freelance Animator and Designer, Self-employed
- Tutor, Match Education
- User Experience Design Associate, AthenaHealth
- Brown University, MA, Cognitive Science
- New York University, PhD, Philosophy
- Yale University, PhD, Psychology
- Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (JET)
- Executive Development Program, Bloomingdales
- Marketing Associate, True Action Committee
- Marketing Communications / Business Development, Experiences Unlimited
- Software Engineer, #waywire
- Yale University, PhD, Developmental Psychology