For immediate medical assistance (24 hours/day):
Call EMS through the Department of Public Safety, (401) 863-4111.
For immediate general assistance (24 hours/day):
Call the Sexual Assault Response Line, (401) 863-6000. The Sexual Assault Crisis Counselor gives information and support in the immediate aftermath of a sexual assault, and is available to accompany the student to hospital, as needed.
To speak to a therapist at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS):
- During regular office hours: call (401) 863-3476 or come to J. Walter Wilson, Room 512.
- Nights and weekends: call (401) 863-3476 and follow the prompts to reach the psychotherapist on call.
Unclear who to contact? The CAPS clinician can help direct you to the appropriate resources.
Brown On-Line Resources
- The Office of Health Education website provides information about sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating violence, and stalking -- including how to help a friend, and resources available on campus and in the community.
- Information about student support services for students who have had an incident of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking is available from the Office of Student Life.
- A compilation of information about policies and resources is available on the website of the Office of Institutional Diversity.
Providence Community Resources
The Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center of RI:
- The Victims of Crime hot line: 1-800-494-8100, 24 hours a day
counselor-advocates provide confidential support, information and advocacy, and are available to accompany victims of sexual assault to hospitals, the police station and court.
- Day One: (401) 421-4100, a program for victims of violence located on Medway Street on the East Side. This program offers ongoing counseling and/or appropriate referrals as well as an ongoing group for female survivors of sexual assault. This program also periodically offers an incest survivors group. For more information about the groups call (401) 421-4100 ext 230.